1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

B-E-A-D Tuning on a P-Bass: Mex Std or CV50sP?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dje31, Nov 18, 2013.

1. dje31

dje31

So, if you have ( or had ) both ( or either ) and wanted to tune one down to B, which would it be, and why? Split or non-split pickup?

Yes, I know that the nut needs to be filed or replaced...and that a 35" scale would be preferable, in a perfect world. And that the neck and / or bridge probably needs to be adjusted.

Just wondering folks' preferences in this scenario.

Boom shanka!

EDIT: yes, I also realize that there are a plethora of other P-options, but these are the two that are on my wish list and---more importantly---within my budget. It's more about the pickup and its application.
  2. lz4005

lz4005

What kind of tone are you going for?

I would use the split pickup bass because I like a warm, motown-ish low end, particularly below standard tuning. But if you want a very percussive sound, with mids that would cut through more the non-split would work as well.

Another consideration would be hum if you're wanting to use a lot of gain. The split pickup would have less of a problem with that.
  3. LinusKarlsson

LinusKarlsson

I play BEAD on a Fender HW1 P-bass. Before that I had a Mex P-bass. Filed the nut a bit and adjusted the neck. Played it thru a Catalinbread SFT into a G&K Fusion550/Ampeg 810. I could move mountains, best sound I ever had. When I killed my Mex by accident, I got the HW1 instead. Still the best sound in the world. Really fat and growly, cuts through and supports even the thickest wall of distorted guitars.
  4. khutch

khutch Praise Harp Supporting Member

I am sure either one will work fine. I have four different MIM Jazz basses tuned to CGDA (+ E in the case of the five string). They all work very well with that tuning and you are only going half a step lower so you should be fine. One of them is a P/J with a Hipshot Bass Extender set to flip between A and C and it works fine when set to A as well. The P/J and one of the others use dual coil hum canceling Jazz pickups, the fiver uses split coil Jazz pickups (Barts), and the last one has single coil Jazz pickups. No problem with any of those pickups. I'm interested in getting an early 50's P bass myself some day and the CV 50's Precision is a strong contender. If it were me I think I would go with a Matt Freeman P bass before the MIM P bass but there is nothing wrong with the MIM, I just like the MFPB.