B string for a 34" Century Roscoe??

Discussion in 'Roscoe Basses' started by Bass Clef, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Bass Clef

Bass Clef

Hi,
    Just wondering if anybody can share any knowledge or thoughts on the performance of the B string if I was to order a 34" scale Century Roscoe.

Any help is really appreciated.
  2. JOME77

JOME77

I've only played one and quite honestly the B sounded just as awesome as a 35" scale Roscoe. Of course I didn't play spend a lot of time A/B'ing it to my 35" Roscoe but I didn't notice any significant difference.
  3. Bass Clef

Bass Clef

Thanks for that.

I want a bass that doesn't feel like it has a really long neck. Which body will help with this LG, SKB or Century?

I've got some measurements of another custom bass which really felt very nice and comfortable in my hands. I don't have very big hands or long arms and this bass really felt perfect - not a big reach all the way up to the first fret and it was a 34" scale bass.

How does a Roscoe compare with these measurements,

Length from Nut to the end of the body - 96.5cm
    Overall Tip of the Headstock to End of the body - 114.3cm
  4. SteveC

SteveC

I had some scale issues. I went Century. I think the longer top horn helps.
  5. JOME77

JOME77

Yeah. IMO when using a strap, the Century body brings the nut closer to you (due to the longer upper horn). And I feel that's true even with a 35" scale Roscoe. It actually plays more like a 34" scale bass IMO.
  6. Bass Clef

Bass Clef

Does anyone have any measurements to compare with ones I mentioned above?

Any other feedback on a 34" scale Roscoe's B string?
  7. J2Kbass

J2Kbass

I don't have the measurements but -

the century will give you the shortest reach to the first fret. Without a doubt.
  8. Bass Clef

Bass Clef

Can anybody else add anything more?

Gard, if you're there do you have any measurements on the Century 5 model that you can post similar to the ones I've posted above in Post #3?
  9. Gard

Gard

Disclosures:
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Best balance, and getting the neck to "feel short": Century, end of story. Don't have exact measurements (no completed Century basses in the shop right now), sorry, but I've played a lot of each on a strap, and I own 3 Century bodies. :)

As for the B, I notice it feeling a bit different under my fingers at 34" versus 35", and I have to just slightly "baby" it with my right hand, but it sounds great - on the 35" I can just dig in without a thought....otherwise, no difference. (Something you should know: if you're looking at a Standard, the 34" is NOT an option, you have to order either a Custom or Signature for a custom scale length).
  10. Bass Clef

Bass Clef

Thanks Gard for your info.
    When you get a chance with some measurements that would be good if you can. I know I can into George at BassGearDirect and check myself some of Centurys but I'm interstate working at the moment and won't be back in Sydney for a about a month.

Is the difference between 35" and 34"scale really noticeable when playing from the 1st fret up to around the 7th?
  11. Gard

Gard

Disclosures:
    Understood on being out of pocket for a bit! No rush on our part.

On the feel difference between 34" and 35", that's a pretty difficult question to answer. The honest answer is that it is a personal thing - some people are VERY sensitive to the difference, others not so much.

My take (and this is just ME, no one else) is that the difference is so insignificant that I just don't really notice how my left hand feels. It just doesn't matter - TO ME.

How it will affect you is something that no one can really answer, other than yourself. :)
  12. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings
    Something to (at least intellectually) understand is that the difference between 34" and 35" is less than 1/10 of an inch at the first fret. The size of the upper horn (where the strap attaches) makes far more of a difference, IME.
  13. SteveC

SteveC

Yep. The Century body style feels better to me. I love the look of the LG and would love to have one (with "reverse" pups) but I'm afraid that the shorter upper horn will make it "feel" more like a 35" scale than the Century does.
  14. JoelFT

JoelFT Supporting Member

I'm weird in that I don't notice scale difference in the first frets. But, it is noticeable to me from the 12th to the 15th. Strange, however I don't mind it.
  15. Bass Clef

Bass Clef

Thanks everyone for your advise and comments.
    I am pretty familiar with a Sadowsky (34" scale) B string. So can anyone tell me how a 34" Roscoes B string compares?

Gard, have you ever tried a Sadowsky B and when you say you have to "baby" the Roscoe's B on a 34" scale would say this is comparable to a Sadowsky B?
  16. Gard

Gard

Disclosures:
    I feel I have to "baby" any B string under 35", personally (keep in mind that when I say "baby", I mean watch my attack with my right hand a bit, it is NOT a pejorative comment!). And a few of them I've run into that were 35" as well...many factors add up to a "good" "tight" B, not just scale length, but that is one major factor.
  17. Bass Clef

Bass Clef

Totally understood. Thanks
  18. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs, Jule Amps
    I owned all three and the Century had the shortest reach to the nut, no question. As for 34 vs 35, I never had a 34" Roscoe but I did have a variety of Sadowskys in 34", as well as Zon, Fodera, Nordstrand, and in 35 Roscoe, Lull, Rob Allen. For reach, the body shape, upper horn length, and other ergos make a difference.

As for the quality of the B, all things being equal, the longer the scale length the more "piano" it will sound IME. But between brands, all things are not equal, so it just depends on the builder and the instrument. Roscoe knows how to build a good B, and I think it would work in 34" or 35".
  19. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs, Jule Amps
    You're talking about the distance from nut to first fret I believe. While that is true, that isn't the distance that is critical ergonomically for most (at least for me). Rather it is the distance you have to reach to the nut. If you're comparing 34" to 35" scale instruments, it depends on how the builder add that extra inch. Assuming a similar body shape, it could be done by moving the bridge back or the neck longer. I think most builders make the neck longer but iirc Gard said they split the difference and move both the bridge and neck. Regardless, it'll be some amount of longer reach that likely is greater than 0.1". For some people it is a total non issue. For others it can bug them and throw off their playing. Depends on technique, body dynamics, and attitude.