1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

B String Question

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by madbassplaya, Jan 26, 2013.

1. madbassplaya

madbassplaya Supporting Member

Been playing a while now and I started with a 5 string bass with a low B, so i'm not a 5 string noob. :D

I see a lot of guys going bigger in the B string world .135 plus. I've tried a .135 one time and it was HUGE to me. I've been using a .130 for a while now but I'm just not satisfied with the tone of the string as I have been with a smaller B string (.125). I've used three different brands with a .130 and none of them satisfy me as much as the tone of a smaller string.

Why is this? it's only .05 of a difference.
  2. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

Well, the difference is tension :) The thicker a string is, the higher the tension. So, Some people prefer a .125 B, others (like me) a .140 :)
  3. madbassplaya

I like a more taut string but the smaller B's seem to sound less thuddy and more natural.
  4. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

I agree. I've also found different gauge B strings react differently depending on the gauges and setup of the other strings. I' tried 125s - 143s (143 from Circle K) and 135 or 140 seems to be the sweet spot for me.

But Circle K does make a great string!
  5. 73jbass

73jbass Gold Supporting Member

If you are playing a 35" scale bass, anything over a .130 probably isn't needed. String style,core,and technique all factor in too. I used .135s on all my 5 and 6 strings (34"),but I lightened up my touch a while back,and a .130 does just fine.
  6. brianerwin

brianerwin

I started out with the .130 on mine as it came with the bass as standard I assume. I like it a lot
    But I guess I just got used to it. The 135 & 140 sounds really big, maybe would be more loose on the
    Bass guitar, not sure though. It would have to be a major adjustment to the nut on my bass to go bigger.
  7. Thomas Kievit

What is it what you are looking for?
  8. madbassplaya

Maybe i'm just more used to the sound of a smaller B now? I used .125 for years and it was great and I used a .128 once (labelle, I believe) and it was outstanding as well. I've recently started using some different sets that I really dig the EADG strings but I don't care for the .130 B string. I've tried bigger B's and smaller B's and it seems I enjoy the smaller a bit more.

I'm guessing that a .130 plus has more wraps on it and that's what is causing the difference in tone.
  9. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much Supporting Member

The worst B I tried was a .135. The best was a .136. It's not just about the gauge.

(If you hadn't guessed, the .136 is a Circle K.)
  10. madbassplaya

So what do you think the difference between the two? Is it the core, or the number of wraps?
  11. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Supporting Member

I'm really liking the 125 I have on my Bongo, but that's more of a feel thing than anything.
  12. madbassplaya

I used a .125 Sunbeam on a Bongo 5HH and Stingray 5HH and they both killed!
  13. groooooove

groooooove

.05 is a huge difference.. it may be a small number, but when it comes to a musical instrument, and its strings, the smallest adjustment can make a huge difference.

if you found what you like, stick to it. what works for you is what matters, even if my B string is half an inch thick.
  14. SoVeryTired

I couldn't really say. I'm not sure what Circle K do differently but it's the first B that feels and sounds like a regular string, rather than one that needs special treatment and a light touch. Possibly the number of wraps. The result is that it looks big but doesn't feel it and doesn't produce a dead thud.
  15. Thomas Kievit

Plus the gauges that Circle K makes are a bit different then most string producers make :)
  16. rimbaud

rimbaud

Yep I've experienced the same thing: while using a 36" fiver, 130 was quite good, 135 perfect; Then coming back to a 34" JB, had to came down to a 125 tappered, 130 was even to muddy, probably because of the lack of definition due to shorter scale.
  17. SoVeryTired

I think that's the opposite actually. A longer scale would mean that a lighter string would have more tension so, for example, a .125 on a 35" may have the same tension as say a .130 on a 34". So you'd want a heavier gauge on a shorter scale to avoid it being too floppy.
  18. capnsandwich

capnsandwich

It really depends on the bass, the strings and your touch. I've had 5 strings that had floppy B strings and never really satisfied me. Then, I've had basses with great B strings and I've used the same strings gauge and everything. Also, some people play with a heavier touch and can benefit from a lighter gauge string. Others, like myself, are finesse players and a lighter gauged string sounds a little thinner to me than a heavier one. String construction, especially the core, come into play as well. A hexagonal core will feel tighter than a round core string.
  19. String Theory

String Theory

I like the tension on the B string to match the E. The best strings I have played are the Circle k Strings .142. I have also had success with Daddarios .145.
  20. millsbass5

millsbass5

^^^^
    "but I lightened up my touch..."-QUOTE

That's the key right there to a good-sounding low "B". No matter what gauge you use.