1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

B-string retainer on a current Fender Am Dlx 5

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by raal, Jun 30, 2013.

1. raal

raal

from reading a few reviews, it seems that Fender greatly improved their B-string definition using that little hook style retainer integrated in the tuning assembly stack.

my current fiver would greatly benefit from this as it has a fairly low break angle at the nut on the E string, resulting in a somewhat less defined sound than the B or the A. It is also a neat mod as it does not require any additional drilling for new string tree.

Is this fender B string retainer available from any hardware manufacturer - Hipshot or whatever?
  2. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

3. raal

raal

thanks for the link, certainly an option

the kind i'm looking is referred to as the Strong-Arm string retainer or stealth retainer. Could not find any aftermarket or even Fender reseller for it,

see B string tuning peg in Am Dlx 5
  4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

It appears to be built in the tuner itself. You would have to replace the entire B string tuner. Fender has a part number for the entire tuner assembly. Give them a call.

My 2008 USA standard V does not have it. I find that I don't need it if I have enough downward wrappings on the B string around the peg. The new design just kind of "idiot-proofs" it in case people don't restring properly to create the proper downward angle behind the nut.