B-string retainer on a current Fender Am Dlx 5

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by raal, Jun 30, 2013.

1. raal

raal

from reading a few reviews, it seems that Fender greatly improved their B-string definition using that little hook style retainer integrated in the tuning assembly stack.

my current fiver would greatly benefit from this as it has a fairly low break angle at the nut on the E string, resulting in a somewhat less defined sound than the B or the A. It is also a neat mod as it does not require any additional drilling for new string tree.

Is this fender B string retainer available from any hardware manufacturer - Hipshot or whatever?
  2. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

3. raal

raal

thanks for the link, certainly an option

the kind i'm looking is referred to as the Strong-Arm string retainer or stealth retainer. Could not find any aftermarket or even Fender reseller for it,

see B string tuning peg in Am Dlx 5
  4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

It appears to be built in the tuner itself. You would have to replace the entire B string tuner. Fender has a part number for the entire tuner assembly. Give them a call.

My 2008 USA standard V does not have it. I find that I don't need it if I have enough downward wrappings on the B string around the peg. The new design just kind of "idiot-proofs" it in case people don't restring properly to create the proper downward angle behind the nut.
  5. Register to disable this ad