B15 with a D-140

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Codger, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Codger

Codger Supporting Member

I have been fiddling with some Redwirez bass cabinet IRs. I have the 810 and the B15 impulses. The B15 though was not fitted with the stock speaker, rather a JBL D-140. How different does the B15 sound with the D140 compared to stock? Should I ask Redwirez to put a stock B15 on their list of cabs to model?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I don't know, but since the D130 is the stock upgrade speaker of the day and almost all D-130's that have been reconed were reconed to D140 specs, I'd say you've got the right speaker to model.

3. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

I had a K140 in my B15 for a while, not sure how close the K and D series are but it sounded nothing like the stock B15 speaker IMO. It very much had its own sound, lots of upper mid range, but compared to the reconed CTS I have in there now (or my old single-baffle cab with the stock speaker) I think the CTS speakers are generally just much smoother and powerful in the low-mids than the JBL.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If I remember JohnK's comparison of them correctly, I don't think they do sound similar. Pretty sure the K140 was darker than the D140. But don't go by me as I'm a little fuzzy.

5. Register to disable this ad