1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

B15 with a D-140

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Codger, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Codger

Codger Bradley Baker Supporting Member

I have been fiddling with some Redwirez bass cabinet IRs. I have the 810 and the B15 impulses. The B15 though was not fitted with the stock speaker, rather a JBL D-140. How different does the B15 sound with the D140 compared to stock? Should I ask Redwirez to put a stock B15 on their list of cabs to model?
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I don't know, but since the D130 is the stock upgrade speaker of the day and almost all D-130's that have been reconed were reconed to D140 specs, I'd say you've got the right speaker to model.
  3. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

I had a K140 in my B15 for a while, not sure how close the K and D series are but it sounded nothing like the stock B15 speaker IMO. It very much had its own sound, lots of upper mid range, but compared to the reconed CTS I have in there now (or my old single-baffle cab with the stock speaker) I think the CTS speakers are generally just much smoother and powerful in the low-mids than the JBL.
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If I remember JohnK's comparison of them correctly, I don't think they do sound similar. Pretty sure the K140 was darker than the D140. But don't go by me as I'm a little fuzzy.