1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

B1500 amp - now what cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by pete rallis, Oct 14, 2012.

1. pete rallis

pete rallis

Seems the more I read , the more undecided I get..I play a G&L L2000 bass in a band with 3 guitarist,(and yes, more amp than god intended) a pretty loud drummer, and we run it all through a the PA. Old rock and blues with heavy bottom end..I have just bought a Carvin B1500(used), and am really at a loss for a cabinet. I have been using a borrowed GK 700 watt amp and a pair of no name 4x10 cabinets..nice sound, but just too much stuff to carry...any suggestions that won't break the bank would appreciated.
  2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

I would love to play a B1500 paired with a fEARful 1515/66, fEARful 1212/6, fEARless 215, or a Greenboy Dually.

The dually is probably the most economical, and with that head it will compete with any 810 in SPL at a fraction of the weight.
  3. pbasswil

pbasswil

That'd be my inclination too.
    The way you describe your tone goals, I'd probably go Dually.
    For super old school, choose Kapalite 3015 15" drivers; for a bit more hifi, go Faital drivers.
  4. Sundogue

Sundogue

I would too. I lost out on a B1500 in the TB classifieds last week by about one minute. All set to pay via PP and immediately got a reply that it was sold. Damned, I sure would have loved to have pushed that through my fEARful 15/6
  5. CL400Peavey

The B1500 is on my radar as a possible amp to pick up. I dont need another one, but it has my interests.
  6. pete rallis

pete rallis

Thanks all...looks like I'll be talking to Greenboy, plus the fEARful's....
  7. husky123

husky123 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    I've run the massive B1500 through my Dually for a time or two and it is an absolute building destructo leveling machine. Tone and volume that will find every rattle and squeak within 50 miles.
  8. CL400Peavey

Your rig/tonal goals/recommendation is exactly what I thought of first when I saw this thread.
  9. swspiers

swspiers Gold Supporting Member

Ah yes! The Carvin B1500.

Husky sold me his B1500 to pair with my fEARful 1212/6/1 because he knows I actually like "absolute building destructo machines". Actually, Husky can get just about any tone he wants out of just about any rig combination, which is why I tend to trust anything he says.

For instance, he TRIED to tell me that the Carvin beats the Mesa M9 for volume and tone, especially at the last octave. Silly me didn't believe him, until I bought the B1500 and used it on a gig. Amazing head.

Now, I'm not entirely sure what your budget is. And do you intend to run through the PA, or do you want a rig to carry its own weight.

The B1500 can do virtually anything you want it to. Any of the 15" or 12" Supercabs are a great fit for this head. If on a real tight budget, take a look at the Avatar TB153. As long as you're not running a lot of effects, the Avatar would fit nicely with the B1500.

Of course, any of the Greenboy designs would work well, especially the Dually.

Personally, I would like to pair my B1500 with a pair of Acme B-2's, or the new Series III. The B-2's come up occassionally in the classifieds, and the Carvin seems perfect for those power-hungry low-end monsters.
  10. ErnieD

ErnieD

Though I just started having issues with my about year old TB153, 4 ohm, cab. I'm gonna get it fixed and try my B1500 with it.

I have a B1500 I bought new about 1.5 years ago direct from Carvin. I think I've used it like 5 times since then. The mini-micro heads made me park it. Its sitting gathering dust in a 3 space SKB rollin rack. I used it once with my two GB Neox 212T's and :eek: Yeow-Ming, it was nice.

Wonder how it would sound with my two 8 ohm, Epi UL410's or just a single Neox 212T. That'd prolly blow the dust off my B-Bomber, ya think? Darn, just small restaurant gigs booked this month. :bassist: I better not, HUH? :smug:
  11. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Put a post in the wanted section. I got a pm within 48hr and got a great deal on one. They are out there.
  12. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

I thought it matched up great with an Acme Low B4.

Now that I have one again, it's going to see stage time with my Berg AE212