1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

B7K Question...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mmbongo, Jan 16, 2014.

1. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

The recent B3K/Agro thread got me thinking that I could replace my B3K and my EQ pedal with one singular B7K.

However, I would want the EQ on at all times and only have the overdrive portion switched on and off. Does the B7K work like that, or it is all on/all off?

2. zwkoch

zwkoch You can't do that on bass enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

It is all or nothing based on your drive and/or blend knob setting. You also could keep the drive at medium with a compressor in the front and lighter playing dynamics to prevent clipping until you want to unleash the beast. I need to look and see if the knobs are have enough space between them to enlarge the drive knob. This way, you could control it with your foot x-blender style.

3. Veldar

Veldar

All on or all off I'm afraid, but I'd love one with sweitchable dirt or a second channel.

4. eveilleu

eveilleu Supporting Member

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

If the pedal is on, the EQ is on and it affects both clean and overdriven signal (I'm just assuming EQ happens first). When the pedal is off.. it's all off, no EQ, no OD

It has a blend button, a level and a drive and the 2 switches just like the B3K.

when drive is at 0, I think it's like if you had an EQ on, and a b3K off, blend does nothing and level acts simply like a volume.

When you turn the drive nob CW (on) then it's like switching the B3K on.

It would be nice to have 2 buttons you can't do what you're saying without bending over and turning a nob.

http://www.darkglass.com/manuals/B7K-Manual.pdf

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

I use my B7K as an always on clean preamp. No dirt dialed in at all. It works great that way. So yeah, if I get your question correctly, you can do what you're describing. If you ever want dirt dialed in though you'd have to just turn the drive knob up. Depending on where your blend is set.

7. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

The blend does something for sure even when drive is fully CCW

8. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Darn. Is there a similar pedal that can keep the EQ activated while being able to turn on/off the drive?

9. zwkoch

zwkoch You can't do that on bass enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

You could use two presets with identical EQ on the SansAmp deluxe pedals. The Verellen MS Pre has two channels as well. You could also use the Brimstone Crossover Distortion for two settings as well. Check out the XD-1 thread or drop me a line if you had any questions about it.

10. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Aguilar Tone Hammer and MXR M80. Of course, both have very particular drive flavors that may not be appealing. There's also the JHS Pandamonium, though the second channel is fuzz.

Not exactly multi band EQ, but the Myco Three could work this way.

Or you could throw a bunch of money and niceties at JohnK and get just what you want hand-built.

11. Darkglass

Darkglass Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Douglas Castro, Founder: darkglass.com
    Not really my friend. EQ is after the drive section. Turning the Drive knob to minimum will just make the Microtubes circuitry distort less (it can get super clean depending on your bass' output though).

You can use the B7K as a clean EQ/Preamp/DI by turning the Blend knob fully CCW which leaves your signal directly into the EQ and Output section.

Regards,
    D.

12. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Oooooh. Can one surmise that the Vintage will be laid out the same way?

13. Darkglass

Darkglass Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Douglas Castro, Founder: darkglass.com
    Yes ;).

14. Guinness20

Guinness20

Not cheap, but maybe grab both the b3k And b7k - run the b7k as an always-on clean preamp, then when you want od stamp on the b3k. Just my two pennies' worth :)

15. eveilleu

eveilleu Supporting Member

Ohhhhhh!! that makes much more sense!

I'm assuming I had the feeling that blend did nothing when drive was at zero is because I was playing softly and level was set at unity with the off switch?

Thanks!!

or a Nolly Signature Dingwall and a B3K ? :)

I'm sorry, I just saw a pic of a green Dingwall on on facebook and drooled all over my keyboard.. can't think...