1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

BA Bridge Badged as Fender??

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by fhm555, Jan 16, 2014.

1. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

nope, not a quan; it just looks really similar.

kinda like ken smith bridges do.
  3. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

It looks close to a BA but its not the same bridge. The lip where it says Fender is wider. For awhile retailers didnt have BA bridges in stock yet Fender still had basses like the Geddy Lee coming with them. I am guessing Fender has wanted to start saving money by producing their own version or BA's are coming to them in to limited quantities to where they needed some alternative. I doubt they own the rights hence why its not identical to a BA.
  4. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

5. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

I read somewhere that fender DOES have the BA2 rights. Thats why fender GL's/MM's/SH's kept getting them while they were never in stock so I think they just bought them up to save cash in the long run. Its just a rebranded BA2.
  6. 254 stringer

254 stringer Supporting Member

If this is the bridge you are talking about here is a side by side.[​IMG]
  7. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

Yep totally different, I think the BA looks better.
  8. fhm555

Gotcha. Thanks for the pic.
  9. marko138

marko138

Where did you get the Fender bridge?
  10. 254 stringer

It came off a cabronita precision not mine but another TBer's. I needed a bridge for a project and it popped up on the classifieds.
  11. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

... I agree, Lucas ... the BAII looks like a 'high class' piece next to a chunk of lead ...

JMHO ...
  12. pfox14

pfox14

Fender bought out the rights to Leo Quan's BA bridge design, so they made it their own with the Fender name on it.
  13. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Please provide citation or link to an article about this licensing agreement between Fender and Leo Quan.
  14. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

The Fender is different enough that there would be no copyright violations anyway. I doubt they bought anything from Leo Quan.
  15. fhm555

^This^ would be my take on the situation. Once I saw them side by side that was my first thought. Fender took the basic idea and look of the BA and made it their own.

I'm thinking the thicker rear rail on the Fender version will hide the string ball ends like the Fender high mass, and the single slot in the saddles will (hopefully) negate the need to do any file work to set the bridge up properly. I wouldn't be surprised to see it become the standard bridge on all their MIA non sig models.

Not to mention that barring seeing them side by side, most folks are going to assume it's a BA clone, which is what I'm sure Fender was after when they designed the thing.
  16. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Agreed.

However, an assertion has been made in an open forum and touted as fact. If it is true, everyone should have access to that information. If not, it should be deleted so as to limit any confusion.

This is how the myths and rumors get started.

Quarter turn, anyone?
  17. 254 stringer

It would be cool if the ball ends were hidden someone handy with the right tools could probably make that happen.[​IMG]
  18. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

blegh!

the back rail there is that fat, yet with no recesses to hide the ball ends?

total unnecessary design fail.
  19. marko138

marko138

Nice. I've been looking for one, they appear to be a rare sale.
  20. Immigrant

Immigrant Supporting Member

From what I read here, it's OK for the Leo Quan to have it's balls hanging out, but it's ugly on the Fender version.

I guess I'll say it. The Badass bridge was overrated and not really attractive IMO. The Fender would look better if it had a MusicMan-esque lip to conceal its balls, I'll agree with that, but it's no deal breaker.

I also think that the Fender will look better in 10 years than the Baddass. I've never seen an old Badass that still looked...well, Badass.

The Hipshot A is a better bridge anyway.:bag: