BA II installation for longhorn Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 101er, Dec 27, 2012.

1. 101er

101er

I'm thinking about BA II installation but I don't have a BA bridge now (just thinking about buying). Maybe someone has an expirience of BA II instalation on Longhorn JB. Is it easy? What about holes for screws? I know that I should drill additional holes, cos stock bridge has three ones. But question is: are 3 holes in guitar for stock bridge the same as BA II? And if not, how to solve this problem.

It will be nice if somebody gives me a short guide for installation. Thnx

2. danomite64

danomite64 Supporting Member

I believe the 3 holes your bass has will line up with the center and outer holes of the Badass II/III bridge.

3. 101er

101er

4. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

save your money

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lonote

lonote

+1,000,000

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Absolutely pointless to install a Badass. First off, the string spacing is going to be weird by comparison. Second, mine intonates fine with the stock wood bridge. It's not dead-on perfect, but the way the string drops pitch shortly after the attack compensates for any irregularities in intonation. Just set it to where the E and G string are intonated and the other two usually follow along pretty closely. If it still bugs you, then you can get a drop-in replacement bridge with adjustable saddles, but I've found it totally unnecessary with mine.

8. lonote

lonote

I don't think he's talking about a Danelectro but rather one of those Fenders with the elongated upper horn.

9. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Three screws will hold it, but I wouldn't bother.

10. GM60466

GM60466

I have BAII on all my Fender basses. They work fine for me.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    DOH! Well this one I'm not taking the blame. Everyone knows that the term Longhorn should only be used to refer to the Danelectro Longhorn!

:D

12. danomite64

danomite64 Supporting Member

Yeah, but you can't blame the OP for not wanting to call his bass a "boner" bass.

13. Buskman

Buskman

LOL - I was thinking it... But you said it! :D

14. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Why do people worry about addition screw holes? As long as the bridge plate covers the holes who cares how many there are.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    People who might buy it in the future if he ever puts it up for sale.

16. 101er

101er

I'm thinking about, how many holes should I drill. 2 is OK, but 4 is a trouble. Cos outer holes for BA II will be extremely close to stock holes.

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    If that's the case, the previous holes should be plugged before you redrill. I've used Liquid Wood for this purpose, but you have to let it dry thoroughly for a couple days.

18. 101er

101er

just Liquid Wood or with toothpicks or something like this?

19. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

This - a BAII is not a better bridge than the one you already have...

- georgestrings

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    The problem with toothpicks is if they're not the correct size, then your new hole won't work well. You could use a wooden dowel the exact same size as the hole, though.

Honestly, though, I'm in the camp with the others saying "save your money." Only thing a Badass ever did for me was add weight to a bass. I don't think it has any inherent advantage over the standard bridge.

21. ljazz

ljazz

I responded to a PM from the OP on this. The longhorn/boner jazz original bridge is a horrible design..... it has like 21 or 22mm spacing..... much to wide for the neck. You'll be pulling the e and g strings off the fret board all of the time. Why Fender did this, I'll never know..... because the build quality on these were superb. Best body/neck gap ever in a production fender..... and the fretwork was at least as good as the '08 AmStds. It made the jazz plus from the same year look like garbage (actually it was garbage, so that really isn't saying much). Everyone I knew who played these back then changed the bridge out right away. Heck, even the store recommended it to those folks buying it. Just to put it in perspective..... check out the photos posted by the OP..... the center hole and outer two holes of the bent plate line up perfectly with the three holes on the original...... see how much bridge is left on each side of the outer holes?!?!?! What a hunk of junk design that POS was.

I threw a BAII on mine after trying to live with the std bridge for a few months. Three of the BAII holes line up perfectly with the three holes you'll already have in the body. Screw those in first.... use the screw from the original bridge. Get two more screws just like those, and screw those right in to the remaining bridge holes. I don't remember even drilling first.

Anyway, the BAII is a boat anchor. I recently installed a plain old vintage style bent plate (5 screws) and I hear absolutely ZERO difference. NONE.... NADDA..... ZILCH. I bet going to the bent plate took about a half pound off the total weight of my bass.

Really a great jazz bass, and worth changing the bridge.... just save your money and get the vintage style. And if you ever do sell it, just throw the original bridge back on it..... the other two holes will be covered up by the bridge. Heck, anyone who knows anything about these basses will consider a vintage style bent plate installation as an upgrade (especially if you throw in the original with the sale).