Babicz bridge reviews?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by guitardefector, Nov 16, 2012.

1. guitardefector

guitardefector

Hello all. I'm considering buying two Babicz bridges for my Fender Jazz and P basses this X-mas. Has anyone bought one recently and what are your opinions? Has your sound improved somewhat, have your strings stayed in tune longer, etc...? All feedback greatly welcome.

Btw, So far I've heard mostly positive stuff about it and most of the negative reviews claim that it looks cheap and flimsy.

2. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

What is so wrong with your Fender bridge that you have to spend a lot of money for nothing?

3. bobbybass85

bobbybass85 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I bought one for a pats/MIM Jazz I put together this last year. Great bridge. There's nothing cheap or flimsy about it, definitely more solid than any other bridge I've dealt with.

I am one who doesn't notice any real difference tonally from bridges. I did notice a little more sustain though. The biggest thing I liked about it was the ability to set it up and lock it in place and not worry about anything moving around.

Would I buy it again? Yes, if I needed a bridge. Will I be replacing it on my Jazz or Precision for grins? No.

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

The whole argument behind the design is pseudo-scientific ju-ju. It doesn't "condcut sound waves" better than any bridge.
    Other than that it is a nice piece of machinery.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dozicusmaximus

dozicusmaximus Supporting Member

I loved the adjustability.

7. invalidprotocol

invalidprotocol Supporting Member

I've never tried one of these myself but I saw a photo that looked like the body of that bridge was hollow. Is it?

8. bobbybass85

Media:
    Albums:
    Mine didn't seem hollow, but I never looked into it much. It's whole design purpose was to have a solid piece that would transfer more vibration to the body IIRC

9. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I bought one when they first came out for a J bass and that was when I bought into the notion that bridges add something to your tone? well they don't and the tuning and tone were no different the bridges are solid and very well made but the cheap fender bridges have lasted 40-50 years ?

10. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

One reason to install a beefy, chunky bridge like the Babicz is to alter the balance of the bass to counteract neck dive. If this isn't a problem for you, mostly what you're doing is adding mass to your instrument, which can have tonal benefits, but they are not dramatic or predictable. Every instrument to some extent is an entity greater than the sum of its parts. There's no getting around that more weight is more weight —on your shoulder and in transport.

My issue with the Babicz is that it has too many parts in it. Bridges with too many locked-down connections defy easy adjustment, which is a hassle.

11. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

It's clear that you don't have one. The Babicz, for all its chunkiness, doesn't weigh any more than a standard Fender bent plate bridge. There are only two locks on each saddle - one for intonation, one that fixes the height. Gotoh, to name one, has done this for years. If the 5 seconds it takes to loosen them is too much of a hassle, then you should avoid it.

The Babicz is a well made, and well designed bridge. Having said that I will echo: unless you are having issues with what you already have, there's no point in replacing them. Of course, if you just want different aesthetics, that's something else. These are NOT high mass bridges, they just look it. A high mass brass bridge, like BAII or Hipshot will alter the sound some. Here is something to consider and of course, your mileage may vary.

http://www.bestbassgear.com/ebass/article/brass-vs-aluminum-bridge-which-is-better.html

12. MegaSwing

IMO, two lock-downs per string are two too many, especially considering how trial-and-error adjusting bridge intonation inherently is. It can take awhile to get it right, having to lock it and release it, de-tune and re-tune every time...enough already. It takes too long as it is, and the extra locking doesn't make the system any less prone to going 'out' again. Been there many times. Although I have never had one in my hands, I know how the Babicz works, and there are other similar bridges I would not have for the same reason. These are just my opinions, based on general experience. I am not seeking converts.

13. bassclef112

I had to call you on your discussion of the weight. Though it looks like it weighs a lot, it's not brass and is about equal to a standard Fender bent plate.

As for adjustments, you do not lock it again until everything is set. Unlike a Gotoh I had, where locking it actually changed the saddle height, the Babicz locks exactly as set. Unlock once, make all your adjustments, then lock. No back and forth.

Does locking help? It doesn't hurt. I have BA, Hipshot, Schaller, standard Fender, Gibson 3-point, you name it. None of them "go out" ever once they're set. Any tweaks are a fuction of new strings settling and they are very small. Any real changes will happen between different brands and gauges.

14. bobbybass85

Media:
    Albums:
    bassclef112's got it right there. That was the thing that sold me on the Babicz was the ability to fiddle and adjust as needed to get it right. When it was there, lock it down and then it wouldn't move inadvertently during string-changes and whatnot.

I'll also add the disclaimer that I'm not an experienced setup-man either. I was nervous about how hard/easy these would end up being to work with. I was very pleasantly surprised at the effectiveness and simplicity.

15. MegaSwing

Has your bass never required a string-height adjustment from just sitting alone for a long time? IME, it's an organic mechanism that won't be locked down. YMMV.

16. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

+1
    string tension and a drop of clear nail polish works fine.

17. musicman666

musicman666 Supporting Member

I have been thinking about a Babicz as well for my P bass. The problem with my vintage bridge is when I am using a pick the saddles tear at my palm, making it very uncomfortable to play with a pick. I don't see any screws protruding from the Babicz bridge. I was going to order one but they all seem to be on back order right now.

18. MegaSwing

THIS is a practical reason to swap out a bridge.

Just sayin'.

19. bassclef112

Of course. Do you think that's the bridge saddles resetting themselves higher? Seriously?

Organic?:meh: I've heard metal called a lot of things. Organic is not one of them.....

20. MegaSwing

Organic doesn't describe the metal alone. Organic is about the system. If the metal stays put, and every other element in the system changes, what difference does it make that the metal bridge remains perfectly stable (which it doesn't exactly do any more than the metal strings or tuners)? Does that mean you don't have to reset it ever?

I'm all for an education here.

21. Batmensch

Batmensch Supporting Member

Or, you could get a bridge cover. Cheaper, less work, looks nice.