1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Babicz Bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Spino, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Spino

Spino

Hi
    I'd be interested to know if anyone has tried one of these bridges on a build and what conclusions you've come to .Thanks

2. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    under the "Luthiers", heading.

3. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Supporting Member

Jeff Babicz showed me the pre-production piece at the Woodstock Lutheir's invitational a few months ago. As you probably know, it's a drop-in replacement for Fender J and P style bridges. The saddles are cams with full contact to the body, which should (theoretcially) increase resonance. It's a neat device with some solid engineering behind it. Although, I think I remember seeing an ad for another product that was based on the same concept.

4. ehque

ehque

I don't know, i've only seen their acoustic bridges and the marketing is a bit of fluff (to me). Any one got a pic of the bridge?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Supporting Member

7. salman

salman

I've got one coming in a a couple of days, going to slap it on my bass. Will let you know what I think

8. salman

salman

Installed my bridge this weekend. There's a bit of a learning curve with the height adjustment, but what is nice is that for both intonation and height, once adjusted, there are adjustment locks. So when you are swapping out strings, you don't have to worry about it going out of whack. There is a noticeable difference in tone, a bit brighter with more attack. There also seems to be a bit more sustain as well. I'm swapping out from a Leo Quan Badass bridge which i think is a good bridge too. I'm happy with it so far. Plus it looks pretty sweet :) I would recommend it to anyone and one of these will probably go on all my future basses. One draw back- no 6 string model available, only 4 and 5. Also the screws provided are a bit wimpy, I reused the screws from the Leo Quan which are a bit thicker and longer (just like me ;))

9. Stereo Joe

Stereo Joe Supporting Member

It looks like a sweet bridge, but I wish they could have included some slots for quick release string changing.

10. m.oreilly

m.oreilly

i'm thinking of picking one up. i have the schaller roller bridge, and i can't seem to get action as low as on the stock vintage fender one. will this be able to drop as low as the fender?

11. capnsandwich

capnsandwich

I've got one of his acoustic guitars and all I can say is that the man is a genius when it comes to innovation and bettering a design.

12. m.oreilly

m.oreilly

i'll have to pick one up.

13. Spino

Spino

Forgot I posted this !!!
    Is it possible to "through -body " with it ? And how bulky does it look ? May I ask on which Bass you installed the BB.And......... aaaaaaa any pics ? Sorta head -on body shots ,no angles :Thank's

14. yellofury

yellofury

+1

15. countbassiedad

countbassiedad

Disclosures:
    No affiliations
    I put a Babicz Full Contact Hardware bridge on my Fender (Squier 70's) Jazz after determining that the bridge and the nut were the weakest individual components on this bass (the stock pickups are not half bad - basically offshore wound SJB-1's). I took a chance with Babicz vs some of the better known brands and was frankly amazed by the improvement over the stock bridge. Action and intonation adjustment is very precise and easy and it looks awesome. What I really did not expect was how it made me hear and feel the resonance of the guitar body itself (this is particularly obvious when unplugged). Makes me think of Warwick's line about the "sound of wood". I can actually hear the guitar now (not just the strings and pups). I use very heavy high tension strings on this bass (Labella 1954 "Jamerson" flats) and have been able to adjust action and intonation under full tension which makes setup quick and easy. The ease of adjustment is handy because I regularly switch between EADG and BEAD tuning using the same strings (it works!) and some minor adjustments are sometimes needed. Overall a great product that significantly exceeded my expectations.

16. ZombiCrow

ZombiCrow

I stumbled across this bridge this week while looking for some more unusual or art deco-looking bridge designs.

While it doesn't bode well for the above poster that he joined in April and made his first post the same month, essentially echoing the marketing speak for this bridge, I might have to give it a try.

17. cnltb

cnltb

From the picture posted above, it seems extremely similar to one that Magnusguitars have used for a long time-I guess 10 years or so...The mechanism looks the same
    It works well but intonation goes out slightly when adjusting the action.
    I wonder if the babiscz has altered this design in any way to get around this.
    But at first glance there is not much new about this bridge.
    I have not met one in person yetthough. :)

18. hasbeen

hasbeen

Disclosures:
    Vice President, KMC Music Inc.
    You can see my affiliation with this company in my signature. Rest assured that the poster above does not have any affiliation.

19. ZombiCrow

ZombiCrow

Excellent! I've come to a conclusion: this bridge WILL be on my next bass, especially now that I know the company has a voice here on TalkBass!

20. Spino

Spino

Thanks you all for the above info .

21. thobbinghotrod

thobbinghotrod

I just saw this online and I have to say that I might get one just for the looks alone, very cool.