Babicz FCH-1 SoloRail

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BrBss, Apr 9, 2014.

1. BrBss

BrBss Previously brendanbassist Supporting Member

I searched for a thread on these, but couldn't find one.
    The new SoloRail is now available from Babicz/Full Contact Hardware. Its an individual saddle design.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.fullcontacthardware.com/fch-1-solorail-individual-bass-saddle

I was super excited to see that these were available, because I don't like the wide string spacing of the regular 5 string Babicz bridges. Then I was quite disappointed to see that it would cost $230-$300 to buy 5 of them to put on a single bass.

2. TapyTap

TapyTap

These look very interesting!

3. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Supporting Member

What are they made of, I'm not comfortable with the idea of set screws in soft metal.

4. ubnomnar

ubnomnar Supporting Member Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

If they are the same material as their unit construction stable mates, they are plenty stout enough to handle all the torque needed to keep them from slipping. As with most any mechanical fastener, it's possible to strip them with the application of enough force, but it doesn't take that much to lock them down. I've had a babicz bridge on a J bass since early 2011 and the only time the screws have come loose is when I loosen them.

I understand it can be hard to imagine a screw not loosening on it's own if you are used to a stock Fender L plate, but thread fit is just another specification dictated by the designer and is influenced by cost and/or time allowed to produce a particular threaded item. Without going in to a lot of detail regards major and minor diameters, shoulder angels, etc., suffice it to say it is possible to produce thread fits which make it near impossible for a fastener to back out due to pressure and/or vibration imparted from the piece(s) joined by that fastener.

In short, a cheaply made loose fitting screw will not hold without help, but a screw properly spec'd for the application will hold just fine without the need for excessive torque or some sort of mechanical aid such as nail polish or Loctite.

After using a babicz for over 3 years I can tell you without hesitation they properly spec'd their thread fits when they designed the bridge. If anything it might be a little over engineered.