Babicz-Full Contact / KSM Foundation bridges

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Engine207, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time. Supporting Member

Has anyone had any experience with either of these replacement bridges?

The first is a Babicz. It's marketed as a 5-hole Fender mount, so it should be just a drop in. They look solid and claim that the "full contact" improves stability, sustain, and tone.

I'd hope so, cause at $190, it should be playing the song by itself!
    [​IMG]

Kinda reminds me of the KSM bridge, which for some reason is a 4-hole mount, which would require a fill-and-drill. It features ramps under the saddles to achieve "full-contact", but only costs $165
    [​IMG]
  2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    There's a couple threads about the first bridge. Never heard of the second one.
  3. Muaguana

Muaguana

4. Engine207

You are quite correct about the search, which I tried first. That, however, would require me spelling it correctly. Nothing came up when I spelled it "Babizc"! :oops:

Here's the thread for those interested:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=624522&highlight=babicz
  5. buttrock21

buttrock21

I have tested the KSM Foundation Bridge and the Babicz as well. The KSM bridge is a full contact bridge that is made of Aircraft Aluminum which is a more resonant material (more then even brass). The screw pattern is based on Fender instruments but with simple modifications it will work on pretty much any bass. In comparison the Foundation is a full contact bridge and has no moving parts when locked down unlike the Babicz. I would suggest the KSM Foundation over anything on the market. They also will install it for free if you purchase a bass from there website. Also, If you send them your instrument also free installation. Check out Custom guitar builder and manufacturer of top quailty bass bridges in Logan Utah - KSM Guitars Inc. (435) 753-6813 - Home. for more info and to get the best bridge on the market!
  6. Billy K

Billy K

Free installation cool.......but add another 70 bucks or so to ship your bass to them.That right there killed the deal for me. BUT....they have a online video that shows you how to install by yourself.I got 5 Babicz bridges that I am very happy with I might add.
  7. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

So, when did you start working for KSM?
  8. Audiophage

Audiophage

I thought he was in Guantanamo.
  9. jeremynivison

jeremynivison

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: KSM FOUNDATION Revolutionary Bass Bridge
    That guy doesn't work for us. I'm the only one here that does. But I agree with him. ;)
  10. Engine207

I recently installed a Babicz on my fretless P/J that I'd purchased for another project, and I discovered a quite annoying design 'feature'. The intonation adjustment screws ride above the mounting holes, requiring the removal of the saddles and screws. Not a huge deal, since it's essentially done once, but it's hard to believe that Jeff Babicz couldn't engineer it to install without that hassle.

On the upside... the ease, precision and lock-in of the setup more than makes up for mounting hassle. I'd still like to try the KSM sometime - just to compare, but I'm pretty happy with the Babicz.
  11. Mycollie22

Mycollie22

Just picked up a used JazzBass with a KSM installed. That bridge sings the sustain is so long. My other fender bridge decays within 10 to 15 seconds. The KSM resonates notes clearly for closer to 30/40 seconds. Sustains like a Rickenbacker 4003.
  12. MarkA

MarkA Registered Schmoozer. Supporting Member

If the mounting holes are in the same location (can't recall now if that was addressed on the site or not), it would be interesting to switch the bridges and see how that result holds up and whether any other tonal differences make themselves apparent.

Like I said, I'd love to try one of these on a fiver in 19 -- maybe even 18.5 -- mm spacing.
  13. Syco_bass

Syco_bass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Custom builder - Arizona Bass Company/Curcio Custom Basses
    Never used the Babicz, but I can tell you from experience that the KSM is EZ to install and adjust and stays put till you move it. Top quality machining and finishing with extremely tight tolerances. Very nice product.
  14. Chauncy

Chauncy Supporting Member

No experience with the Babicz but I recently installed a KSM on a Fender American PBass and it made a huge difference, especially the sustain. It was very easy to install.
  15. vlad335

vlad335

The Babicz is made from aluminum as well which I totally agree is a far superior material than brass. I bought Hipshot brass and aluminum FM2 bridges and the aluminum sounded way better. I swapped both back and forth for awhile on my American Deluxe Fender. Brass sounded terrible. The brass bridge had less low end and more highs that were brash sounding and difficult to EQ. The aluminum Hipshot sounded great with more sustain, lows, and a clear and smooth sound. One would think that brass wouldn't sound tinny compared to aluminum but the exact opposite was true in my experience.

[​IMG]

I have never tried the KSM but don't care for the black only option personally. However, the Babicz is pretty good. The only complaint being no provision for string spacing or top loading without pulling strings through a hole. The knock on having to remove the saddles for installation is annoying but not a deal breaker.

Sorry to highjack but my personal opinion is that the aluminum Fender mount Hipshot bridges are the best out there. Sound great, great price, ($68 ebay) have string spacing adjustment, and most important for me, easy top loading where I can swap my strings for cleaning in denatured alcohol without them being deformed.
    Use this method http://www.tunemybass.com/strings/bass_string_cleaning_tube.html and not having to pull the string through a hole makes taking the strings off and putting them in the tube easy. In turn, easy to reinstall the strings as well.

Bought an American Standard P-bass and the first mod was installing a Fender mount aluminum Hipshot. Easy install with no drilling and serious improvement over the Fender bridge.
  16. highway

highway

i might buy a KSM when they come in chrome and are predrilled for fender . . .
  17. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

I have to resurrect an old thread here...has anyone here compared these bridges to a Hipshot Vintage Bent Plate bridge? The aluminum B-style sounds good on my Kinal, I like it a little better than the brass, but I think the brass had tighter lows. I'm considering the Hipshot Vintage Bent Plate for my Modulus because of the looks and that it's made of brass but lower in mass. My hunch is that will combine what I like about the brass bridges with what I like about the low mass aluminum bridges. I currently have a Gotoh 201, which is zinc (I think), and it lacks the punchy finger sensitivity that I want from a jazz bass. I like the look of the KSM more than the Babicz, but it's $150 vs. $90 for the Babicz or $50 for the Hipshot. I'd be interested to hear comparisons...the biggest issue I see when comparing these is that the Hipshot bridges depend on threaded screws to make contact with the base plate, versus a larger area that is locked in place in full contact with a base plate. That being said, the Badass uses the threaded screws, so does Smith bridges and the vintage Fenders, so it can't be bad. Thoughts?
  18. Engine207

Since my original post, I've become quite the fan of the Babicz. I've got one on my fretless Precision and one going on my HoseDragger Custom. I got both of the ones I use for about $60 apiece, so the price was right. I still haven't tried the KSM, mostly because I can get a better sonic bang for my $150 with many more things than a bridge.

I'd still give the KSM a try, if I could find one used for $80 or less. No comments, though, on the Hipshot Vintage. I have a brass Ric-style one on my 4001, and I like it real well.
  19. Hapa

Hapa

Disclosures:
    Bass Industry guy, currently a free agent
    Hip shot vintage bent plates are stainless I believe
  20. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

The Hipshot website says they are brass. I think Nordstrand and Lakland have theirs made of stainless steel, but brass is standard.