Babicz Full Contact!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by 89JazzMan, May 17, 2012.

1. 89JazzMan

89JazzMan

So I recently put the FCH bridge on my 89 Fender "Boner" jazz.

I wanted a badass 2 but for some reason they are harder than Chinese Algebra to find.

If anyone is interested in trying this bridge!!! DO IT!

The old fender bridge on that bass left a ton to be desired. There were several buzzy frets and there were some notes on the neck that would not speak. Intonation was a lost cause. I was pretty sure I was going to have to do some neck work.

Pulled the stock bridge, (has three holes..) Added the Babicz (had to drill2 holes but I am never getting rid of this bass) and took a little while to get the intonation right. I set the action lower than it had been with the stock bridge (D@m near upright action).

I was blown away. No buzz. Harmonics jumped of the neck. My strings are now even in regard to volume and quality of tone...no more screaming E and quiet G for me.

This old bass is now the real deal. I cannot say enough good about this bridge. I have only tried the badass on the Geddy Jazz so I cannot make a great comparison. I am just saying...if you are even thinking about it...buy this Bridge.

Babicz customer service is wonderful too!!!!

2. free_Bassd

free_Bassd

i have a babicz on my fiver and I love it! I have a MIM jazz bass that I kinda just upgraded til all the broken, or in the bridges case slightly rusted and what seemed to be generally mistreated by the previous owner. I got a babicz and it's the real deal, it is so easy to tweak as well with the allen wrench. I'm a total supporter of anyone who wants to get one of these bridges

3. BassPlayer3187

BassPlayer3187

I'm thinking about getting one of these for my 5-string. Does anyone have any experience with the Babicz FCH vs Hipshot A-stlye brass bridges? Those are the 2 I've narrowed it down to but I'm having a hard time deciding between the 2. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

4. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

The main differences between them are-

1-The Babicz strings through from the back while the A is a quick mount.
    2- The Hipshot A allows for string spacing adjustment while the Babicz spacing is fixed.
    3- You can get the A in brass (basically high mass) or aluminum. The Babicz, though it looks massive, is very light weight (low mass). Some people have a preference for these characteristics.

I have both the Hipshot and the Babicz on several basses and find them both to be first rate hardware.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Babicz' specs show the 5 string bridge to have a easy-load feature, though the 4 string version does not: http://www.fullcontacthardware.com/fch-5-string-bass-bridge-specs.htm

7. bassclef112

8. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man.

So, the Babicz fixed buzzy frets hmm? Astounding.

9. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

How can you beat it improved tone,harmonics,volume it must be the best bridge ever made I must have got a bad one because I didn't notice any of those things.

10. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

I had one and it was just okay. Kind of a pain to install as you have to completely remove the saddles to attach it to the bass body. Honestly I didn't see any improvement in sustain, tone, etc.
    I did like how easily adjustable it was though.

11. bassclef112

I've had one of my Jazz basses set up with a DiMarzio high mass brass bridge for over 25 years. I finally decided I wanted a change, something a little more modern and I decided on a Babicz. The other bridge worked perfectly well - it was a cosmetic thing.

So I put on the Babicz. I really like the concept and ease of use, and I liked the look. I was very surprised at how low mass it is - very deceiving considering how massive it looks.
    Now, I've been playing this bass with the high mass bridge for all this time and I know how it sounds very intimately.

I will say this - my impression with the Babicz was that the notes seemed to open up more and bloom. More highs, a wider pallette. I'm sure what I'm hearing is the difference between high and low mass. The high mass tended to have a compressed quality to the tone. I am also sure that if I didn't have this bass for so long unchanged, I may have heard no difference at all. For me it was an apparent difference, and I'm happy with it.

Does this mean I'm going to change out the Badass II's and brass Hipshot A's I have on other basses? No. They're fine just they way they are AFAIC. But it was kind of an eye opener for me as I've never A-B'd hardware. Lots of really high quality products out there and the Babicz is one more option.

Your mileage may vary.

12. F-Clef-Jef

F-Clef-Jef

:D It's a "miracle"!