Babicz Reviews?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by eyeballkid, Jan 20, 2014.

1. eyeballkid

eyeballkid

Disclosures:
    Records of Existence/PyrE owner
    So ive got a fender that I love all except the one issue fender has never bothered to address. I like low to med-low action and absolutely cant stand the bridge hex screws that stick up and cut at my hand when i adjust the action low. Sooooo, Ive been looking at alternative bridges. The Babicz looks pretty intriquing and a perfect solution, but I see alot of folks put them up for sale in the classifieds which makes me wonder because I would never think to switch out a bridge unless theres a problem in the design (like the fender, lol).

SO... have any of you guys tried em, and whaddya think??

is there a better option youve found?

2. Grissle

Grissle

Shim the neck, problem solved.

3. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

If you love your bass I do not suggest doing something like going to very different style bridge. Any bridge is going to change the character of your bass and it's difficult say whether it's going to be good or bad until after it's done. It depends or your bass and what you're looking to do. If you like your bass the way it is then I suggest finding shorter screws or cutting them down to a shorter length.

4. Low Class

That changes the neck angle and affects the way it plays and sounds. If a bass plays and sounds like you want it I wouldn't suggest that.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. eyeballkid

eyeballkid

Disclosures:
    where can you find SHORTY SHORT hex screws? the bridge screws are already pretty small, and cutting them seems real chancey for rendering them unusable given the small thread depth.

but... anyone thats tried a Babicz?

7. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass Supporting Member

I loved the Babicz I had on my 2011 Fender American Jazz Bass. Unique but cool setup and boatloads of sustain. I would still have that bass with the BabicZ bridge had I not needed a 5 string bass and had to sell it to pay for the new bass. Everything was perfect on the bass as I had Hipshot 27:1 tuners and a Drop D tuner on the E string.

8. Low Class

I tried it on several basses and didn't care for it.

9. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I used a Babicz string-through bridge on my recent build. I was very happy with the quality and function of the bridge. I broke a screw during my first attempt at installation (didn't drill a big enough pilot hole in the maple body), emailed them per their contact information on the website on a Saturday morning, and Mr. Babicz himself replied within 5 minutes. He provided ordering instructions and a new screw was on it's way that Saturday. A great customer service experience.

I'll add that I sometimes rest my hand on the bridge when playing with a pick, and it's quite comfortable, unlike many other types of bridges.

10. Lo-E

Lo-E

You can get the screws at McMaster-Carr, among other places.

11. eyeballkid

eyeballkid

Disclosures:
    Why not?

12. eyeballkid

eyeballkid

Disclosures:
    Thanks, I'll look into that.

any idea what size/threading/whatever-specs-it-might-be I would need to know to order correctly to fit a fender bridge?

13. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

... Fantastic piece ... absolutely the best I have seen in terms of workmanship, attention to detail and adjustability ... and best of all, it is amazing how much Jeff has packed into a bridge that weighs nearly the same as a simple bent plate Fender bridge .. and half the weight of BAII ...

Avg Fender bridge .22-.24 lb
    Avg BAII .46 lb
    Avg Babicz .25 lb

With that said, that might be why some dont care for it, as it is not a hunk of lead to stick on there and 'increase sustain' ...

I just sold a Babicz, that would be one that you saw for sale .. reason for selling, I like simple, and I am cheap! ... I dont need an expensive bridge, when that silly bent plate design has worked for me for almost half a century, and serves it purpose ... and, I could care less about 'sustain' .. I play flats and carry a hunk of foam to put under the strings ...

However, I realize that there are a lot of folk that like a heavy bridge ... I pay a premium for a light basses .. and there are a lot of folk that like to 'tinker' with the adjustability available on something like a Babicz ... thats why they make all kinds, and they all sell and have their following ...

If you haven't tried a Babicz, I recommend it ... in fact try them all!! ... no reason to take anyone elses word as what you should like ...

... and the obligatory JMHO's ...;)

14. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

... longer ago than I can remember, with a crankin Grand Funk style 3 piece I played with a pick all the time, and anchored the 'fat' of my hand on the bridge (to pick just in front of it) ... I got tired of bleeding all over my self every night, but absolutely hated the look and lack of accessability of an ash tray (Jazz bass) ... so I took the neck pup cover and screwed that over the bridge ... problem solved. Rested meat of the hand on the neck pup cover, and had access to intonation screws without moving it, and only had to take one screw out and swing the cover to adjust saddle height ...

40+ years later I am still searching for that '66 Jazz bass with the second set of screw holes next to the bridge ...

15. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I have one on a Jazz it's a great bridge very well built but I got it when I got caught up in all of the bridge madness. I wouldn't buy anything but a regular fender now.

16. JdoubleH

JdoubleH Scented meat Supporting Member

I've been tempted by them, but for all the beautiful design and features, I decided Hipshot had a leg up with the quick release string feature. I won't go back! I absolutely love not having to pull the strings through the bridge, especially when taking them off. It makes string changes SO quick and easy. I've got the Vintage type on a Precision, and an A Style aluminum that I just put on a Jazz. I dig them both very much. But as much as I like these two bridges, they are not immune to your pokey set screw issue. The vintage one has the least obtrusive set screws of the two (at least on mine). They are way lower than the strings, but perhaps because the string grooves are fairly shallow. The ones on the A style are going to need to be shortened or de-burred a bit. Speaking of which, you could just smooth the burrs off of the set screws with a little sand paper, a sand paper type nail file, a small file, a Dremel with a sanding disk... etc. I had a Ric once on which I put adhesive felt dots over the bridge screws once they were set because they were so stinkin lethal. I eventually took the Dremel to them and they were much less obnoxious.

Low Class's point about the character change is worth noting, but if you get one that mates up with the Fender mounting screws, you can switch back if the change doesn't suit you. Yes, changing the bridge will affect things tonally, but not always for the worse. In my experience, it's less dramatic than changing strings. Plus, it requires a setup, so change is just part of the deal.

17. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

The Babicz bridge is by far the best Fender replacement bridge on the market. It one of the few bridges that are an actual improvement over a stock Fender bridge. As for the set screw issue the Babicz will absolutely solve that problem for you

18. PrietoBass

PrietoBass How does he do that? Supporting Member

The Babicz IS quick release...

19. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

No they aren't the strings are fed through the back of the bridge just like a stock fender bridge.

20. Bullitt5135

Bullitt5135

I replaced the stock bridge on my Jazz Bass Special with a Babicz because the little springs on the stock one kept rattling and driving me nuts. I immediately noticed an improvement with the Babicz. The whole bass feels more solid, as in, I can feel the vibration of the strings more. Maybe that's what others are referring to as sustain? My tech said it's the easiest bridge he's ever set up. As for cons, some people may not like the aesthetics -- the logo on the bridge is not very subtle (or traditional). Whatever, I love mine. I put one on my LTD bass too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. PrietoBass

PrietoBass How does he do that? Supporting Member

They CAN be fed through the back (I normally feed the strings from the pickup side) and they DO have a quick release system designed in... All you have to do is loosen the string a bit (as you would with a Hipshot bridge), and push the string a bit enough to get the ball end off the socket... and pull the string back. It's the same concept... You don't have to pull back the whole string though the hole. I have a 5er with a Babicz, and a 6er with a Hipshot, and they're both right in front of me... and I'm telling you that Babicz is as quick release as you need it to be.

You don't have a Babicz installed on one of your basses I would assume...