1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Bach Cello Suites Harmonic Analysis

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Music_for_life, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Music_for_life

Music_for_life

How can we as bas players use this material applying harmony to know how the music was composed???
    I want to know the baroque forms of music and composing using this suites... From a bassist perspective we lack of books that deal with this type of information...And instead we use this books as patterns within a tonality...What can you recommend???
  2. sammyp

sammyp

Right! ....you need to learn classical style analysis! Right now i have no books to recommend cause i learned this in university 15 years ago ...but if you google Classical
    Music Harmonic Analysis you should find a wealth of info.
  3. Rev J

Rev J

From what I recall of the first cello suite the opening line is a G Major arpeggio, followed by a CMaj/G to a Dmaj/A. I-IV-V baby nicely voice led. Probably not coincidentally "Classical Thump" by Victor Wooten follows the same progression with the same voicings.

Stay Brown,
    Rev J
  4. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

5. Bainbridge

Bainbridge

When I teach the Prelude of the first Cello Suite, I point out things like the movement from tonic to dominant back to tonic, and the accompanying analysis of the register starting from very wide and open arepeggios, to very narrow scales, to open arpeggios again. The reason I do this is because Bach did this: he establishes a baseline (tonic, arpeggios), creates tension (dominant, scales, culminating in a chromatic scale), and releases that tension (tonic, arpeggios). After I show my students that framework, we go in and look at what's happening on a microscopic level (usually for the benefit of their reading and analysis skills). What you need to do as a musician is to see the big picture (the tonic-dominant-tonic scheme, or open-narrow-open, or calm-tense-calm, or ABA, or whatever). Then, you can start looking at the nuances that make up the details of that story. Patterns like the ones I discussed above are omnipresent in Western music, and even in non-Western music to certain extents; you would do well to learn how to spot them.
  6. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

A very musical approach to theory. Are you aware of Schenker Analysis? He has a whole system for this kind of thinking.
  7. Bainbridge

Bainbridge

I'm vaguely aware of Schenkerian analysis, but I know little of it beyond this thing:

[​IMG]

Maybe I should look into Schenker a bit more.