back to fender - 2012 precision mia fiver

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassgirl27, Dec 26, 2013.

1. bassgirl27

bassgirl27

I've just done a full circle loving and playing mia fenders, going to boutique basses and now back to a 2012 mia precision - 5 string. A good friend just bought a 2012 and after hearing his praises I spent the last day hitting music stores to try out a 2012 mia standard verses some of the older mia standard fivers. I did find two 2012's, a 2011 and a 2008. Spent considerable time with each of the four and there really does seem to be something a bit different about the 2012's. Sustain for days, the satin necks are really a lot nicer than the older ones and they just seemed more resonant. I have no idea if the 2013's are similar as I couldnt find one to try. Anyway, i left a hold/deposit on one of the 2012 american standard fivers. Anyone else have any insight into this or is it just me?
  2. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

the neck finish is something that is specific to the year, but the other things you mentioned (sustain, more resonant) i would say are more specific to the individual basses. one of those little things that make certain basses "speak" to certain players.
  3. Jason Brown

Jason Brown Supporting Member

My 2008 has a satin neck finish. Is it different now?
  4. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

there's varying degrees of a "satin" finish. the satin on the american fenders leaned more towards a semi-gloss than a full satin. if you play an american fender next to an american g&l, the difference is quite noticable.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ALC

ALC Supporting Member

I am going through the same thing. Just bought a 2012 Jazz today. Definitely different from the 13. Biggest difference I noticed is the pickups. 13 has Custom Shop pickups which I did not like nearly as much as what comes stock in the 12. Doing some homework on the differences now.
  7. bassman blue

bassman blue Supporting Member

Interesting topic. I just got a 2012 MIA Precision V from a fellow talkbass member. I have found that I have been extremely pleased with the quality and sound of the bass. The last MIA precision I picked up was probably a 2009 or earlier year and I found that the finish on both the body and neck were not to my liking. The 2012 body looks like sunburst should and the neck has a nice light satin finish, on par with any boutique bass I have owned or played. Really pleased with the sound of the bass unplugged too. Seems Fender has got it right with these 2012's, from the fit, finish, sound and things like the strap locks and the flight case. To be honest, I hadn't been at all interested in Fender basses for years, but this guy has my utmost attention again! Kinda funny cause I wanted to like Fender basses but that thick poly coating and the washed out looking body finishes they had going had me running for cover. Anyway, whatever they are doing now is in keeping with what I remember Fender doing many decades earlier...
  8. eno50

eno50 Supporting Member

You know I have had a lot of fun in the past 40 years,starting out with a p bass my brother gave me, he went on to another hobby,and I stuck with playing the bass,and on the quest for tone I tried just about everything out there,and as I got to be a better player It hit me that all I really needed was just the old P Bass .
    A lot of money spent, a lot of trading and a bad disease (gas)that is hard to shake
    and years later and full circle I'am back to the old p- bass.... Oh we'll I had fun fun fun
  9. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Gold Supporting Member

Fender American Standard implemented some nice refinements in 2010. A 2012 will be a better choice over a 2008 for example.