Back to Flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by hotbass57, Dec 13, 2013.

1. hotbass57

hotbass57

Going to switch back to flats. Going with Chromes on my vintage P. GHS precision flats on my Jazz. reason being from reading posts here, seems most feel the GHS are darker tone. I know Chromes sound great on my P, had them on there before. What ya think???
  2. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

I'd personally do it the other way around. The P bass is darker than the J, and I'd personally be looking to accentuate that rather than work against it.

My P wears LaBella flats, a dark flat. The closest thing to a J that I have is a Carvin B40, which I use for slap, so it's got rounds. But I may buy a Fender J from a friend, and if I do, it's getting Rotosound 77 Jazz Flats, a brighter flat that also works extremely well on my Ric 4003.

But as for the general concept of Fender + Flats, I'm in agreement for the most part. The only exception for me is if I was looking to use a J for slap.

Sorry, rambling here. Try it out and see what you like. :)
  3. hotbass57

hotbass57

No, thanks looking for suggestions. Don't really slap so that's why looking for suggestions.
  4. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I've had the Chromes on my P-Bass in the past and I liked them quite a bit. I put a set of GHS Precision Flats on my daughter's Fender Bronco. Its not an apples to apples comparison by any means, but the GHS flats have more of the traditional Flats tone and feel compared to the Chromes, which are IMO surprisingly bright new out of the pack. The Chromes also have a more flexible feel to them. YMMV though.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lopesraphael

lopesraphael

7. TheAnalogKid

TheAnalogKid Yer Doin' GREAT!!!! Supporting Member

The funny thing about D'Addario Chromes is that they have a "roundwound" underneath the flat ribbon outer-wound. They are great strings; I love them to death! But I believe that the above-core round wire wraps account for their unusual brightness.

Mine are well over a year old and still have that stainless-steel twang inherent of rounds. To mellow it out, I roll off the tone to my liking on my bass. Oddly enough, I've been GHS fanboy (Boomers) for many years and still think they put out a good product. FWIW, I call it midwestern pride!!
  8. Robus

Robus Supporting Member

I've been on a quest to find the right flats. I liked the chromes on my Jazz but I was looking for something with a little more midrange for that bass. I tried the Roto77 and hated the sound, total mismatch for the Jazz. Flipped them over to my P bass where they sound a little better. Tonight I put Fender flats on the Jazz. First impression is good; will see how they sound when they have worn in.

For the P bass, the chromes sounded okay, but not as nice as on the Jazz. It's wearing the Roto77 at the moment. If I don't get used to those once they've broken in, then it might be back to rounds for the P.
  9. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

I've got LaBella 760FS flats on my Fender P. It's a match made in heaven! I've had them on for nearly two years, and they've just gotten better and better sounding.
  10. vistacruiser

vistacruiser

LaBella's are the same way, I just replaced the A on my project P/J, which after 2+ years broke at the saddle. :( I saw that it was round wound under the flat ribbon outer wrap. Good news is the new .085" "single" sounds right at home with the old broken in set. I really like LaBellas, but have never used them on a "vintage" bass, only on this P/J which has always had hot SD or DiMarzio pickups.

I will also report that tonight I strung a set of GHS Precision flats on another bass, (an actual '65 P) and solo they sound wonderful, just what I was looking for, the old school Motown thump at 1/2 the $ of LaBella. I must disclaim though, that every string I have tried on that bass sounds great. :) We'll see how they do at higher volume with a full band, but I think I'm going to like 'em.

Curiosity has got me now, and soon I plan to try a set of D'Addario black nylon tape wound's on my fretless Jazz, nothing wrong with the 1/2 rounds on it, just need to try these out.
  11. HawldieMPB

HawldieMPB

I've got Chromes on my CV Jazz. I really like them. Got a little twang if i EQ it right but can also be just as thuddy as any flat. They feel like butter to me too. I really like them.
  12. Robus

Robus Supporting Member

I've got the curiosity bug too. Might try the Labellas on the P if the Rotos don't thrill me. I'm not looking for the Jamerson sound, just a strong fundamental that cuts through.
  13. BenHack

BenHack

Based on the wide variety of tones Michael League gets out of his vintage P with Chromes I'd say go for it. They seem really versatile for a flat round.

I've currently got TI's on my Nordy P5 and I dig the sound but often find myself reaching for a jazz bass at the gig. I'm thinking of trying chromes on it for just this reason. Perhaps with the turn of the tone knob I'd be able to find what I wanted on the P for the various tunes I play.

Good luck in 'the search'

Cheers

Ben
  14. hotbass57

hotbass57

Thx gents, i've used nothing but Chromes. I have a 3+ yr. Old set on my Hofmer copy. They are perfect on that bass. Been hearing alot about GHS precision flats. I'll update after stringing them up. I will flip and put GHS on pbass. I'm using 45-95 gauge, had hand problem still recovering this the light sets.
  15. macmanlou

macmanlou Don't push it. Just let it fall. Supporting Member

The new LaBella White Tapewounds (the tape is actually clear) are very flexible, very smooth and easy on the hands - much more so than regular LaBella flats. They are roundwounds under the tape and sound brighter than any other tapewounds I've heard.
  16. vistacruiser

vistacruiser

The GHS long scale+ (plus) sets work on 34 or 35 inch scale. The E string is long enough that an un-silked (and stiff) portion of the string wraps 1/2 way around the post on my P bass. Works O.K. but I'm not thrilled about it. I should think a string named "Precision flats" would be available in a size to fit a Fender P bass. I would try to get standard 34 inch scale if possible. Just my 2 cents.

I very much like the feel and tone of the GHS flats so far.
  17. vistacruiser

vistacruiser

So I got to play with the band tonight and now I'm sold on the GHS flats. The feel and tone balance is great, my '65 P bass has never sounded better.

Low end is very strong and clear, more than with any other strings that I remember using on it. Mids still have the singing tone that I love about this bass. High end is a bit dark, as I like it to be.

Really glad I tried the GHS flats. (M3050 set,.045,.065,.085,.105)
  18. hotbass57

hotbass57

Update: put the chromes on my jazz, the light guage tension and flexibility are easier than some hex rounds I've played. The tone is delicious. Waiting on back order GHS Precision Flats. I'll put them on my 72 Pbass, will update again then. I do not hear any loss tone wise with the 45-95 Chromes.
  19. Crabby

Crabby

I just bought a set of Roto 77 flats for my P-bass and am not happy at all. Way too high tension and less thump and low end then the 45-100 rounds I had on before.

I have a set of TI Jazz flats on order and hope they are the ticket.
  20. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:

Welcome back.

I using flats on all my basses at the moment.
    They have become a big part of my tone.

I use TI-JF344, and Fender 9050's ( 45-105 ) depending on the Bass.

Flats-Tube Amp-A little Overdrive= Tone heaven.
  21. Robus

Robus Supporting Member

I put Fender 45-100 flats on my Jazz and am liking them. Not quite as bright as the Chromes but they have a stronger fundamental and mid-range. Still has that articulate Jazz sound but cuts through much better. I think I might have found the right match for that bass.

The Roto77s have been on the P bass for a week now and are somewhat broken in. I'm starting to warm up to them a bit now. They do a respectable Motown imitation with the tone knob rolled down. We'll see how long they stay. Part of me wants to go the whole way and try Labellas on that bass. Another part wants to go back to rounds. :confused: