1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Back to Passive J: My first wiring diagram!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by chapito, Dec 30, 2012.

1. chapito

chapito Supporting Member

:hyper:
    Hi Guys,
    This is my first mod. Ive been reading up for the past couple months in prep for this build. I’m wiring up my 74 Jazz V/B/T with:

Fralin Split Js (+5%),
    series/parallel (push-pull pot),
    ungrounded Blend pot,
    2 switchable caps (push-pull pot),
    killswitch (basically a “quick-mute")

I’ve put together the following diagram from an amalgam of other diagrams. (Thanks, you amazing group of TBers!!) I’d like to get your advice/feedback in general, and specifically…

I'm running the tone into the volume (instead of after the vol). I’d like to keep the wiring as minimal as possible, can I wire the tone pot to the blend pot (see diagram—dotted line) or does it have to go direct to the volume pot?

and I should be grounding the Vol pot to the casing, right? (not shown on diagram)

Attached Files:

2. line6man

line6man

Your capacitance switch and killswitch are overcomplicated. You should only be using one pole to minimize switch pop, and the possibility of failure.

The tone control already is wired to the blend pot.
  3. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Right, keep the one side of both caps grounded, or you will get pops. Use a SPDT switch, or one half of the DPDT.

The kill switch should be shorting the output to ground, not leaving it open, or you will likely get hum when you have the signal muted.
  4. chapito

Hi line6man,
    long time reader first time poster… ;)

will do on the cap/kill switches. —so the caps can terminate on to the casing for ground. cool.

sorry for the misleading question about the tone lead. I’m still trying to figure out the best route for the tone lead. I originally wired the tone to the vol pot but noticed it could go to the blend (dotted line). Are there any negative implications to wiring via the blend pot vs. direct to vol pot?
  5. SGD Lutherie

Disclosures:
    The tone control should connect the amp side of the volume control. That will prevent the change in volume from affecting he tone control.

[​IMG]
  6. chapito

Hi SGD Lutherie
    Thanks. so would I take the
    Vol out (center lug) to killswitch
    killswitch “push” to output (single throw)
    killswitch “pull” to ground (single throw)

Attached Files:

7. line6man

line6man

There is not a difference. Electrically, both methods are the same, unless you were considering wiring the tone pot to the output of the volume pot, in which case, the capacitor would see a variable impedance as the volume is adjusted.

There are many ways to physically wire what is electrically identical. If it is easier to run the tone pot to the blend than to the volume, you can do that.
  8. SGD Lutherie

Disclosures:
    Look at the Duncan diagram. The tone control should attach to the output of the volume control. Not on the blend pot (input) side.

The kill switch is wrong. It should be grounding the output, not disconnecting the volume pot.

I Googled and found this. Something like this will work fine. It can be a momentary switch or a latching type. If you are using a switch just to mute the signal, I'd just turn down the volume control.

[​IMG]
  9. chapito

thanks for clearing that up. I’d like to keep the control plate as clean as possible so its nice to know I can run a short lead.

I noticed the Basslines™ diagram above shows the output to the Tone center lug, whereas other diagrams on TB (where the tone is before the Vol) show the cap at the center lug.

I’m curious, are the tone leads correct?
  10. line6man

line6man

Again, it makes no difference. Neither the capacitor nor the pot have any polarity in the circuit.
  11. chapito

So, I would wire the spdt to connect the tip to the ground of the jack basically isolating the rest of the jack from the rest of the control plate.

I wanted to try the tone-before-vol after reading a post by walterw. He described the concept,
    I tried to draw it up. I’m sure I misunderstood something.

Killswitch:
    I want the mute for stage and pit work where the FOH has a DI, that way when Im switching instruments—I can keep the same vol, quickly switch and avoid any string noise in the stand. Sometimes i just use a stomp box tuner, but I always think it would be nice to have one on board.

Attached Files:

12. chapito

ah ha! Im learning~:D
  13. SGD Lutherie

Disclosures:
    Look at your kill switch wiring, and the image I posted. You are switching he output. Just leave it attached and switch it to ground.

[​IMG]

Make sure you wire the blend up the right way. You need to measure the resistance between the center and the two outside terminals to determine which side goes to hot, and even though you aren't grounding the blend, you have to have the right side left floating.

What you want to look for is the side with a resistance close to zero is the hot, and the side with closed to the full resistance of the pot is the ground side, assuming you use an M/N taper pot.

Like this:
    [​IMG]

But you have to check, because they are all different. This was for a Bourns blend pot.

I never play with my volume on less than 10. I only use my volume control to mute the bass. The FOH sound guy is expecting the level to be the way it was when he did a sound check.
  14. chapito

strike three with the killswitch! :smug:
    I have to laugh at myself, wired the switch every which way but right! Thanks for the visual, I get it now.

I actually used that blend example from a previous post to test it! :D Thanks for the heads up!

Hey, Happy New Year everybody!

Attached Files:

15. SGD Lutherie

Disclosures:
    I'd still wire the tone control to the volume pot. If you have ever wired up a few blend controls you will find they are very cramped. You do not want to add any extra wires. There's no point in wiring the tone to the blend pot since the same wire from the blend goes to the volume pot.

Seymour also did it that way for a reason. Trust us, we have been wiring stuff for a while now.
  16. chapito

opps forgot the tone lead. (thank god Im not a surgeon)
    thanks!:bassist: