1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Back to Spiro Weichs--Yikes!

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by PB+J, Jun 29, 2013.

1. PB+J

PB+J

In the eight years I've had this bass (shen 7/8 flatback) I've had a lot of strings on it. Among others, Spiro mittels, spiro weichs, velvet animas, velvet blues,and for a long long stretch Evah Pirazzi weichs. The EVs have been on their a long time and there's lots to like--nice dark but still articulate sound, big thump on the front of the note, great for walking lines. But hard on the hands. I had a long stretch with a lot of intensive playing and my hands were just tore up. They EVs have been hard to tune lately and I figured maybe it's time for a change.

So, new set of Spiro weichs. Ugh! It's like playing a telecaster in a country band! Twang Twang twang. This is supposed to be a bass, dammit!

Nice soft feel though. I know from experience they'll settle in, and lose the twang, but for crying out loud, I'd be afraid to show up at a gig sounding like this. I need to render up a pan of chicken fat, rub it into the G string, or something. You wonder how these ever got approved for production at the spiro factory. "eureka! we've done it! We've managed to create a string that makes a bass sound like a dreadnaught at a bluegrass jam."
  2. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner/The Bass Spa, String Repairman/L & M Vancouver
    Oh, that's just not true. My '53 D-28 sounds MUCH bassier than a fresh Spiro 'G' string! ;)
  3. eerbrev

eerbrev

I've always loved the used market for spirocores.

Some dude loves that brand new spiro sound, and plays the heck out of them for six months. Then he buys a new set and sells the old one on TB. Some dude can't deal with that 6 month break in period, and buys used off of TB to avoid it. After that he strings up and plays away for a year and a half. Then he picks up a new 6 month old set on TB and puts his 2 year old set on.

After THAT, some dude comes along who just can't deal with that 2 year break in period, and buys used on TB. After playing them for 3 years, he figures it's time for a new set... And so on an so forth until you get to that guy who just CAN'T deal with that 10 year break in period.

Wasn't there some dude mentioned a while back who had a 20 year old set of spiros on his bass, still kicking?
  4. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

I got an ancient set of Spiros on my first bass. Somebody bought them.
  5. PB+J

PB+J

I'd of kept the EV's on there but they were starting to get hard to tune

Meanwhile at the moment it's like playing the springs from a fender reverb unit
  6. DC Bass

DC Bass Supporting Member

PB+J, I'm sorry, I know it sucks to be in this position, but your descriptive posts are KILLING me! :D
    I literally laughed out loud! I play a lot of country too, so I know EXACTLY the sounds of which you speak!
    I congratulate you for keeping a good sense of humor it a tough situation!

I realize this wont completely fix it, but a southerly sound post adjustment might help...maybe?

Good luck in finding peace, or a well broken in set of Weichs! :cool:

Joe
  7. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Administrator

There was. I got 'em from a friend who thought they were dead right when I started playing. After I found Dominants, I gave them to a student. Don't know where they are now.
  8. DoubleMIDI

DoubleMIDI

I had, but changed for lower tension because of the high tension of my high C string on a 110cm scale and a bit high tension for my hands at all. I won't give them away, they play really nice with orchestra now.

BTW, nice Spiro trading comment, I thought the same about it.
  9. PB+J

PB+J

I had a set I bought used from Uncle Toad, nicely broken in. They were pretty good.

These new ones are settling down a little, or maybe I'm adjusting my technique. Or the bass is settling. They're still ridiculously bright, but either it's fading or I'm adjusting my technique.

I'd forgotten how easy they are to play. Also they are easier to bow than the EPs--it's a big, direct, kind of harsh sound, but very responsive.

Have a gig thursday, I need to play them in before that
  10. iiipopes

iiipopes

Did you get the S42W 4/4 weichs, which are really thin and twangy, or the 3885W 3/4 weichs, which are between the S42W weichs and S42 mittles, and have more meat in the tone?
  11. PB+J

PB+J

I have no idea--how do I tell?

meanwhile, I found an old Mittel G and put that on. The weich G was just nuts
  12. lrhbass

lrhbass Supporting Member

Back in the 80's-90's the mittel G was the way to go with the Weich's. I had the same outcome with the G Weich. I think I gave it a day and a half before taking it off...
  13. BeowulfKingsley

BeowulfKingsley

Yeah, I bought some Spiro Weichs from the Classifieds 'cause I was broke. I think they were about a year old. I can't imagine wanting them to be any brighter than they are now!!
  14. Stephen Koscica

Stephen Koscica

Obviously, everybody has different likes and needs, as well as a different bass. Thank goodness! Lately though, for the basses with really "twangy" G strings, (for jazz), we've put on a new, Flexocor Deluxe G string. It's nice. There's sustain and in most cases I never hear any drop off from the D to the G in sustain: Sounds like it belongs with the original set, without the edginess. On other basses, a Spirocore G won't sound edgy at all. Again, depends on the bass.

Some players with serious hand concerns have bought Evah Pirazzi Solos from us to tune them down to concert pitch. While I have done that here on basses with Spiros, I have never tried the Solo Evahs that way yet... I wonder how the loose solos would be for your right hand.
  15. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

I played the Evah Solos tuned down for a while and they sounded good and felt nice. I had a problem with intonating the G string, particularly in thumb position.
  16. DoubleMIDI

DoubleMIDI

I guess the Innovation Braided (orchestral tuning) have a similar tension to the downtuned Evah Solos (I had an Evah Weich G on that instrument for comparison, not for playing it together with the Innovations). They might have a bit more tension on the bottom than downtuned Solo strings, which are often a bit light on the bottom.

So if anyone wants to consider downtuned Evah Solos, think about trying out the Innovation Braided. Similar construction, less stretching and I think a little bit brighter sound.
  17. iiipopes

iiipopes

Spiro 3885.5W E string: the most under-used string in the DB world: almost the heft of S39 (the E string in the S42 mitt set), but with the presence (some would say growl) of the S39W. Bonus: being the true 3/4, less speaking length of the string over the nut and around the tuner post, so less chance of the string binding or breaking.
  18. bskts247

bskts247

I'm still in the break in period for my spiro mittels. I like the E and A strings (they just keep getting better) but i hate the D and the G string the most. To much twang after almost a year. To the point where im looking for a different G string.
  19. iona bass

iona bass Supporting Member

bskts247-
    I replaced my Spiro Weich G with an Obligato G (Orchestra/Medium). Darker, less "twang", 6 months on, and I still like it. Blends OK with the Spiros on my bass.
    Also, I play mostly Pizz., but practice Arco, too.
    The only drawback - it took about 1 week to stabilize.

I tried the Obligato D ( Orchestra/Medium), for a few weeks, and missed the sustain and volume of the Spiro Weich D.
    Good Luck.
  20. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

I've found that using the towel rub trick quickens then break in period on most strings for me. Grab a towel or rag, and rub it til the strings get hot all the way between the nut and bridge.

It brings the twang down and then things improve over the next few days.