1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Back up your files TODAY!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by mikegug, Jan 31, 2014.

1. mikegug

mikegug

Take this post as a Public Service Announcement:

Last week, a buddy of mine lost HUNDREDS of hours of recording and production work. He hadn't backed up his files for the last couple of months and it's likely all gone. For all you Mac vs. PC guys, it was a Mac... yes, Macs crash.

This is a Public... Service... Announcement... WITH GUITAAAAAAAARS!!!!!

2. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Supporting Member

It happens ... but only once (if you have any sense). I use Apple's "Time Machine" backup on my iMac. Darn near impossible to lose more than an hour's work in the event of a crash. I also record to fast external drives.

3. Red_Label

Red_Label

Wow... that sucks. I've got three SATA hard drives in my studio PC. I keep triple copies of my recordings. But it's been a while since I made copies. Time to get that done. Thanks!

4. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    Luckily I've never lost data. I've got crucial data in two different places at home (one a hefty NAS I built, the other is just disks in a 2nd machine in a different part of the house), plus an offsite backup. One at home is a RAID array, so that helps as well against single-disk failures. Even if my house burns down, at worst I lose a week of information. Non-crucial information is backed up between the two at home, plus once a month off site. I've had this setup for about 10 years now. But, I'm IT, so I know the importance of backups. Never have a single point of failure :).

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Been there! Didn't do a backup and lost everything. Photos and video too! All gone!

7. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I keep duplicates of everything on an external drive.

Fool me 385 times, shame on ME.

8. hernameisrio

hernameisrio

I highly recommend Kroll OnTrack data recovery services. The Apple-authorized service provider I work for, uses them quite often. Your friend should check them out if he needs to get his data. Feel free to PM me and I can give you more info!

9. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I have a backup drive running 24x7 on my computer. It pays. They are not that expensive online...you can buy drives configured to run as backups and sit on your desk.

10. BassNeo

BassNeo

I have a 1TB external drive that backs everything up every day. As long as I save my work as I go, nothing can truly go wrong.

I even had a laptop crash on me once and my wife was able to extract the hard drive, put it in an enclosure and salvage everything.

Maybe the OP's buddy can save his stuff by doing the same. It's like a $20 case and some know-how.

11. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

I lost 3 years of photos and my wife hasn't forgiven me yet. I have two external hard drives now with everything on both. Recent stuff is also on dropbox.

12. BassNeo

BassNeo

For the record, my wife was an Apple tech for 5 years, and she can attest that a Mac does in fact crash and burn. She just knows how to save it 90% of the time.

This is one of those moments in our relationship when I smile, nod and say 'Yes my love, I'll get your wine while you fix my train wreck'

13. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    I just recovered from one of my backup drives crashing, so I'll chip in and say that you can't be too rich, too thin, or too redundant.

14. Major Softie

Major Softie

Apple doesn't make hard drives. They use the same ones as PC's. When they crash, they don't care what kind of computer they are in.

I am terrible about backing up, so I made it idiot proof. I set my computer up in a RAID 1 Array. 2 hard drives running in parallel so that if your drive crashes, the other one automatically takes over, and you just replace the dead one. The computer fills the replacement up to become a mirror again, and this all happens seamlessly in the background. I recommend this solution to anyone who does a poor job of backing up their computer.

15. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    I'm nervous about CryptoLocker and similar viruses that encrypt your data and then ask for ransom, because they also encrypt the data on your backup drives and even your cloud storage. So my backup is on its own computer -- an old notebook running Linux -- set up to "pull" data from the PC's in the house, without being visible to the network. Maybe this is overly paranoid, but I'd hate to lose my data.

16. mikegug

mikegug

Thanks everyone. PM's may result in this for questions. Thanks for offering the PM's! I will update as time goes on so we can all learn and be reminded.

17. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    RAID is not a backup strategy at all. I cannot stress this enough. If whatever you're using for a RAID controller dies (I'm assuming you're just using motherboard RAID...), then you're entirely screwed. If your computer's power supply dies, or just starts to die and sends bad power to the system, again, all data lost. If something gets corrupted on disk 1 in the array guess what? That corruption gets mirrored to disk 2.
    I see it all the time. "But I had my data in RAID1/5/6! How did I lose it all?!"RAID != backup.

18. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    If the linux box is plugged into the network, it's a valid target for anything.
    Luckily linux still benefits from security through obscurity so you should be mostly safe.
    Safe browsing habits, a good threat management setup and using actual firewalls goes a very long way.

19. Major Softie

Major Softie

RAID 1 is not perfect, and it doesnt protect you from virus damage either, but, I repeat: IF YOU ARE REALLY BAD ABOUT BACKING UP, IT IS AN EXCELLENT IDEA. Saying "it is not a backup at all" is simply false. Saying it is inferior to weeks of permanent hardware weekly backups? Well YEAH!

As the other comments above show, every backup strategy has vulnerabilities. Your strategy must be shaped around how much you value your data, cost, and practicality. Only you know how willing you are to actually do the work. If your willingness (or lack thereof) is anywhere near mine, then RAID 1 beats the hell out of nothing. Every computer death I've had that los t data
    was a hard drive failure.

20. RyanJD

RyanJD Supporting Member

Yeah, the logic board failed in my MacBook last week.
    It's part of my college tuition, so in the mean time I have a loner to use from the tech department while it gets fixed.
    Point being, no hardware is safe from failure.
    Sometimes certain components just last longer than others for whatever reason.

21. stratovani

stratovani

I back up all my stuff on a 350GB external HD (and not just music related stuff either), but the really important stuff I also back up on a few inexpensive 16GB thumb drives. Cheap insurance in case the external HD should die.