1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Background hiss problem

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Volpe25, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Volpe25

Volpe25

So Im having a problem with recording my bass. In the background there's a constant hissing sound. I have a Presonus Audiobox USB and even when the gain is turned completely down the hiss is still there. I've searched online for hours trying to solve it, I've tried almost all solutions I could find, I unplugged my laptop from the power supply, I isolated my laptop and the audiobox from everything else to prevent any electrical interference, I tried a different computer, I tried a usb hub, I tried changing the storage to an external hard-drive. Im running out of ideas and this thing cost me the last of my money, I want to put out my own EP by the end of the month and all I have to do is record my tracks but they are ruined by this hiss. (Im a perfectionist when it comes to my music)

Any help would be greatly appreciated

These are some examples, the first link is a short recorded track and the second is a recording taken with nothing plugged in and the gain off and then its turned up full. (headphones should be worn and the sound turned up fully to hear the annoying hiss)

https://soundcloud.com/volpe25/demo-youre-the-light-in-the

https://soundcloud.com/volpe25/hiss
  2. magneezius

magneezius

First Off Whats your entire signal flow? This detailed description will help isolate the hiss and find the culprit.

Sometimes active pickups on your bass can introduce hiss. The other issue could just be the pre amps on the Presonus itself that are introducing the hiss when the gain is being cranked up. Try and use the shortest cable possible going from your bass to presonus, the unbalanced cable could also be a potential culprit.
  3. Volpe25

Volpe25

The signal flow (the desired setup) is a bass w/active pickups into a compressor pedal into a boss rc-30 loop pedal into the Presonus.

I've tried only connecting a bass with active pickups, a bass with passive pickups, and an electric guitar with passive pickups and the hiss is present with all of them :/
  4. magneezius

magneezius

Have you tried connecting your bass directly into the presonus and remove the pedals from the signal chain?

Try this using your passive bass and going directly into the presonus. If you are still hearing the hiss try turning down the gain on your pre amp to see if the pre amp is introducing the hiss. This will at least narrow down the potential problems of what could be the cause of the hiss.
  5. Volpe25

Volpe25

I've tried that and the hiss is still there when the gain is turned all the way down
  6. magneezius

magneezius

Well work backwards in your signal chain from the input to output and slowly eliminate all the suspects.

Plug in your passive bass with the volume set low into the instrument level input 1 of your presonus USB. Make sure 48v is turned Off and set the Input 1 input gain low as well. And set the mixer all the way left to Input on your interface. Slowly turn up your input levels and your bass volume and make sure you're input isn't clipping on your presonus.

What DAW are you using? The included studio one artist? And you've selected your audio device playback engine to be your presonus audio box within the DAW?

I would monitor your mix through headphone output of your presonus and unplug any thing from your main outs on your presonus.
  7. Volpe25

Volpe25

Thanks to everyone for trying to help, I've come to the conclusion that the preamps in the box itself must just not be great quality. I've emailed where I bought it from asking about return/refunds so hopefully I can return it :meh: This now puts my ep on hiatus :crying: