1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

BACKLINE 210 GK INPUT JACK REPLACEMENT

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by loogy, Feb 15, 2014.

1. loogy

loogy

Hey All

My Dad's friend gave me a Backline 210 to use only condition is that the input jack is busted. He said " You should be able to go pick one up from radio shack" so I did.

I got a 1/4" stereo and 1/4" mono. the only 2 types they had.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062453
    and
    http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103415

I couldn't find and how=to threads vids or anything specifically for the Backline 210 but I did find this

http://www.bustedgear.com/part_jack_input.html

the third one down is supposed to be for the 210 but i'm wondering because it's a 4pin pc mount if I'll need to order this one or if i might still be able to use one of the ones I have already(the mono one more than likely if it's compatible)

if anyone knows any thing about this or could shed any light it would be most appreciated
  2. loogy1

loogy1

well took this thang apart and looks like i'll have to order the pc mount 4 pin after all still any other ideas welcome
  3. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

With a quick search I was able to find this:
    http://elektrotanya.com/gallien-krueger_backline-210_350_sm.pdf/download.html

It does not show the pre amp module, but with the schematics and the parts lists there's information about different revisions and the biasing procedure.
    Handy to have around.

I'm sure that the pre amp schematic is there somewhere as well, and from that You can determine exactly what kind of a jack you do need.
    Not all circuits use the switch that the 4 pole jacks have, but those who do usually require the exact type to function as intended. Or at all ;).

Regards
    Sam
  4. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

One thing before you get started,
    If the boards in commercial amps are anything like PC motherboards, you'll probably need a high-powered soldering gun or high powered iron to melt the solder that's on the board.
    Before ordering anything, you have to go in there and check which socket it is, so you can immediately tell if it's the right jack. You don't want to be wasting your time and money, after all.
    If worse comes to worse, buy some small gauge speaker wire (that will fit into the holes on the board) and wire your radioshack jacks to the board using said wire and appropriate amounts of solder. Remember that the input jack doesn't have to handle high power and so you can use that smaller wire that you couldn't for the output jack. This assumes you know how to wire those jacks like a board mount jack.
  5. loogy1

loogy1

Here's a pick of the input jack from the in and out

Attached Files:

6. loogy1

loogy1

And here's pics of the other jacks just to show that they all are the same type.

Attached Files:

7. loogy1

loogy1

All the jacks for the patch bay are the same as well. Why do they use a 4 pole jack for everything. I'm not big on electronics but it seems like I should still be able to use this standard jack I already have for the input. Sam would you be able to elaborate more on the switch that the 4 pole jacks have and their function. And bio weapon that's what I was thinking I could do. Just use some wire and solder that to bypass the 4pole switch if that's possible.

But at this point I think I'm just gonna order the one offa busted gear
  8. sconix

sconix Supporting Member

The one on bustedgear is not the correct one. What is in your amp is a Neutrik S102-84. Now that part is likely a REAN part. GK sells the one you want in their online store. Look for a non-grounded 4 pin mono switch 092-0081-0. You need a tech or a bud skilled in desoldering parts on a double sided board. You can ruin or at least booger the amp up.
  9. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Convenience mainly, largish footprint offers stability, the switches (non-isolated in this case) are just an added benefit in the circuits they don't serve a function.

Only by verifying that from the schematic can You make that assesment.

Can be nothing or any number of things.
    Some defeat unused circuits, some do series/parallel switching, etc.

^This.

^And this.

If You have a go at it, at least use a good quality desolder wick, or a good quality desoldering gun.
    Just meltin and prying the contacts off one corner at a time will most likely end in tears.

Regards
    Sam
  10. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

When removing multi-pin things like jacks or relays, the main objective is save the PC board! The old jack is useless but the board is the number one priority!

If you have a Dremel, cut the old jack off with a Dremel cutting wheel. Then remove the remains of the pins off the PC board, one pin at a time. It is much, much easier to only have to remove one pin at a time. Trying to remove the jack intact, with all 4 pins coming out at once, is a real challenge and you stand a very good chance of damaging the board. Destroy the old jack instead and worry about one pin at a time.
  11. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

+1.
    I hate having to remove parts from boards when they have 3 or more pins. It's a pain. This is exactly what I end up doing when I need to save the board.
  12. panther9209

panther9209

I own a Backline 210. Great amp. The speaker enclosure is rated at 4ohms but it has 2 outputs on back. Unless you plan on running two 8ohm cabs and not the 2 10s you could just use one of those correct ?
  13. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

He's talking about replacing the input jack not the output jack.