1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Backline Question

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by lowphatbass, Jan 22, 2013.

1. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

It's been a while since I've traveled via airplane for gigs. I have to put a technical rider together and I'm wondering what type of amps(other than Ampeg)most sound companies have available these days THAT ARENT CRAP. Back when I was doing this more it was a lot of SWR Professional, Eden and GK 800RB, usually through a 4x10 and 1x15 or 1x18. I doubt these amps are still in circulation, but I'm wondering what is in circulation?

The SVT/8x10 rig will be on the list, it's always a safe bet and I know I'll get enough stage volume. I wanted to put an additional rig or two on the list as well....I think it's reasonable and will probably save some time going back and forth if/when an all tube SVT isn't available.
  2. arai

arai

Mesa 400 are pretty common
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The top brands you will find from any backline companies are still Ampeg, GK, Hartke, SWR, and Eden. Aguilar and Mesa have been making inroads into backline companies, but they're still not available everywhere like the others, and even SWR and Eden aren't always available 100% of the time. Once in a great while you can't get a tube SVT, but you can usually get a 3 or 4 Pro if they don't have a tuber. Anything else is potluck and not very likely.
  4. lowphatbass

Good to know Jimmy, thanks you.

I've had pretty good luck with the Pro's, they definitely have been better for me through Ampeg 10's than other cabs. I've gotten burned more than once by newer GK heads/cabs that looked good "on paper" but turned out to be complete spineless turds.
  5. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho

You should specify a minimum power output and minimum speaker cabinet configuration. For example: 200W at 8 ohms, 300 at 4 ohms and 4x10, 2x12, or 1x15 as minimums. You may actually want more or less than those.

I see mostly GK and Hartke in backlines these days. Naturally, this will vary from area to area.
  6. lowphatbass

Going by specifications makes a lot of sense, and I've done that in the past. One of the reasons that I'm asking opinions is I'm hoping to go with specific models. Power and volume specs just aren't what they used to be.

So still a lot of GK and Hartke, that's good to know. I can't remember seeing an all tube Mesa, if I did it must have been a long time ago.
  7. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

I see almost always either GK, Hartke or Ampeg. I rarely see SWR or Eden any more.

You must be working with a pretty big name if you are able to specify specific models. Have you been able to do this in the past with any success? I imagine that many sound companies hired for a show would look at a bass player's list of acceptable models and say something like "This is what I got. Take it or leave it." (I have run a regional sound company and that's what I would say. ;)) I'm perfectly willing to admit that may not be the case. I'm just wondering if you have gotten away with it in the past. I never did. but I usually had adequate gear ................. usually.
  8. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBass - PlayBass! Supporting Member

Here is a nice, JimmyM approved, backline I used at a gig a few years ago. :)
  9. lowphatbass

One of the ideas behind being able to list a few specific models that are common and decent is hopefully being able to avoid needless back and forth communication through third parties and whatnot. It's definitely not that I'm playing for a big name or so picky that I can only play through certain amps, if that was the case I would just have my amps transported.
  10. Mugre

Mugre

You're right they're not. They're better. Having been raised in the time when peak and instantaneous power ratings were the norm, at least now you know you're hearing about rms watts into a specified load. As far as marketing shills getting engineers to fudge numbers with loose test spec, it's aways been thus and I think it's probably less common today with how many people who know how to test an amp with a load and a multi-meter and the way new spreads on internet forums as T.C. found out to it's chagrin a few years back.
  11. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Unless you are also Behringer, rms figures from Behringer are seldom found.