Backpacks

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by elgecko, Mar 30, 2014.

1. elgecko

elgecko

I've been shopping for a laptop backpack and it's made me evaluate my current stable. I kind of have a thing for backpacks. :meh:

[​IMG]

Counter clockwise from bottom left:

Camelback Lobo (2L hydration pack) - Used for shorter mountain bike rides.

Camelback M.U.L.E. (3L hydration pack) - Used for most mountain bike rides and short day hikes.

Gregory Inertia (4L hydration pack) - Used for epic mountain bike rides and day hikes

North Face Hot Shot - My "country" daypack. Ancient pack that has endured a ridiculous amount of use and abuse. It started life as a book bag but graduated to general outdoor daypack use. I've also done ultralight overnights with it. It's currently my fishing backpack and is still solid despite its pathetic appearance.

Guitar Research - Attaches to a gig bag. Was my "gig bag" but zipper pulls have broken and seams are blowing. POS! I occasionally use it to schlep tablets and tablet-related accessories.

Dana Design Zoic - My last book bag and currently, my "city" daypack. I use it for luggage as I don't own proper luggage.

North Face Terra 40 - This is my rock climbing pack. It's relatively lightweight and I've been contemplating using it for lightweight backpacking.

Dana Design Bighorn - My favorite and most prized pack. Dana Design is defunct but their packs are legendary for the quality, comfort, and durability. It's been on 95% of my backpacking trips.

Habagat Alpine - Someone gave me this giant backpack with primitive suspension. It does storage duty at home.

Anyone else have a backpack fetish?
  2. jeffbonny

jeffbonny _____________ Gold Supporting Member

Not sure how much protection you need from a pack but as a longtime very hard daily user of backpacks and messenger bags one of the best investments I've ever made is a Tom Bihn laptop sleeve called the Braincell. It also comes in a vertical version which makes a lot of sense for use in a smaller backpack. I searched extensively and there is nothing else out there that comes close to the compact protection this sleeve gives.

I haven't seen any of his packs in real life but if the attention to function and craftsmanship is anything like the Braincell they might be worth considering especially the laptop specific ones if that's what you're after.
  3. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

I love my backpack. It's a Dakine brand "skater style" as some would call it. It works awesome when biking and is lightweight enough to not hinder me while riding the dirtbike. I use it for school too, but I never leave for a trip without it.
  4. elgecko

elgecko

I actually have a similar sleeve that's been my daily carry for years. I've loved the low profile but it's always been severely overstuffed with extra junk and the extra junk pile's just gotten bigger. That Tom Bihn stuff is neat. Made to order packs but too pricey for my blood.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

Saddleback Leather Backpack. Your grand kids will fight over it when you are dead.

lowsound
  7. Monster Truck

Monster Truck

I never leave the house without a backpack. Everyday bag is a Billabong, I also have an Adidas, 2 Dakine, and 2 Jansport. Backpacks are kind of like basses to me, in which they have to be "just right." Just got my brother a really cool Ogio which will probably be my next bag. Too lazy to post a pic right now, but I'll get one up later.
  8. Steve

Steve

My back pack is sitting in the back of my jeep loaded as a 72 hr. bud out bag.
    I hope I NEVER use that thing.

Holy cow! that is some nice work right there.
  9. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Any old backpack, as long as the laptop has a solid state drive. (You could probably donate all but about two of those to Goodwill.)

My preferred way to carry stuff..classic briefcase from Custom Hide (they add custom pockets by request):
    [​IMG]

They make backpack models too...much classier than nylon.
    http://www.customhide.com/leather_backpacks.html

Like this laptop backpack:
    [​IMG]
  10. elgecko

elgecko

:eek:

Heresey!

:spit:

:p

I still have a "spinny" hard drive.
  11. fraublugher

fraublugher

12. swlees

swlees

13. bassist11

bassist11

Recently purchased a Timbuk2 backpack, can't remember the name of it and it appears they don't sell it on the website anymore but very nice quality bag.

I can't stand how nearly everything these days is a "laptop" backpack. I don't have a laptop, I have an iPad and I don't need some huge sleeve taking up space. Geez....
  14. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

Backpacks are not "off-topic", at least not for me. I use one for all of my cables, tools, spare strings, batteries, etc, that I need for gigging and rehearsal. Carrying such items in a backpack makes load-in much easier. Mine's made by "Embark" and was on sale at Target. It has a laptop sleeve, which I use for a Boss ME50-B multi effect.
  15. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Supporting Member

I have a Thule 25L, good little book/laptop backpack. But these days my daily carry for my laptop is a messenger bag.
  16. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

I got a black canvas back pack from a military surplus. Its got a hard back, and a slot that a laptop fits into perfectly.
  17. Jim Campbell

Jim Campbell

not me...just the opposite in fact.....i'm beginning to wonder how i lived so long without carrying around so much stuff.....i saw one guy at a bus stop with a bigger pack than i took when i hitched from here to socal....
  18. elgecko

elgecko

I used to carry music gear in a backpack but since mine is toast, I've gone to a duffel bag. I'd rather have my bass(es) on my back and a duffel bag sits better on a cart.
  19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

I have two, an Oakley that is self repairing when it rips. I use it every so often. The other is for the wife and I as our 'go bag' in case of an emergency.

-Mike
  20. Lublin

Lublin Supporting Member

21. macaroni tony

macaroni tony

Ivan...would you recommend any of these as a good emergency kit backpack? Funny I was speaking with the wife about this just last night and on the first page I see on talkbass this morning is "backpacks."