Backup pickup suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Kael, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Kael

Kael

Back story, skip this paragraph if you like. I have a Chadwick folding bass that is currently my sole double bass. The Fishman full circle pickup has recently been giving me some trouble. When I plug the pickup into the jack I get no reception sometimes. I need to unplug a replug it several times to get a connection. Last night, no amount of futzing with it would get it to work and I had to do the gig on a fretless J I had out in my car (note to self: always have a backup slab ready).

So, I need to get my fishman fixed but I also would like to acquire a backup pickup to cover any future such events. Suggestions for pickups that can easily be added when poop hits the fan? Bear in mind that some of the pickups that need to be "permanently" installed won't work for me. I remove my bridge pretty much every time my bass travels to a gig.

Edit: I play loud'ish Americana. A mic won't hack it for me.
  2. jmacdbass

jmacdbass jmacdbass.com, openmusiccollective.org

Its not ideal for what you do but I have a Pierre Joeseph in my bag all the time, but you need steal strings

comes on and off real easy though and you can also play really loud

I'm waiting for the new "source" pickup from upton, I'm hoping it will solve alot of my problems

I wonder if breaking the bridge down all the time has caused extra stress on the setup
  3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Fishman BP 100 or its like, Underwood or its like.
    The new Realist looks like it slips under any bridge adjuster, but I haven't heard that through an amp yet...
  4. Roger Davis

Roger Davis

I know the BassMax is liked by several players as a backup but it is thicker than an Underwood and you need to be sure that the (usually E) slot will accommodate it in a hurry. Otherwise the Ehrlund is a quick fix, assuming you have predetermined the sweet spot. It'll probably sound as good as the FC as well. Maybe better?
  5. Kael

Kael

I play Helicore Hybrids. So steel strings I have. I do wonder if me breaking the bridge down frequently is wearing down the pickup. I don't know whether it is the wire or if it is the jack. I suspect the jack.

This gives me some good places to start looking. Thanks.

edit: although it is on the pricey side, that new realist sound clip looks interesting.
  6. Kael

Kael

Not that I think anyone is waiting breathlessly for the conclusion to this thread, but for completion, I got a KK Bass Max along with a new jack for the full circle. Just came in today, haven't installed or used either yet.
  7. neddyrow

neddyrow

I have 2 bassmax pickups when I go to shows. I am nervous that I'm going to crack/break the ceramic so I got a second one here used on TB and bring it as a backup.
  8. DC Bass

DC Bass Supporting Member

I have a FC on my Shen bass. It has been unpredictable for a while, so I always carry either a Bassmax or a Rockabilly Plus as a spare for amplified gigs. Neither sounds as good as the FC when it's working, but they always work. Easy to install, easy to get a serviceable sound out of, they're cheap, reliable insurance.

Joe
  9. Kael

Kael

The new jack worked. Evidently those jacks are not just jacks but have a resistor and some other stuff in there. They are actually a part of the pickup. At least that is the way it was explained to me. New jack had my FC working on stage last night. I am planning on fitting the KK to my bridge tomorrow and keeping it in reserve.