1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Backward tuning machines

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by qazwsx, Apr 1, 2014.

1. qazwsx

qazwsx

So I just got a Hondo 4001 copy and the tuning machines are the most pitiful things I have ever seen. I don't have 2 left tuning machines and 2 right tuning machines but I do have 4 rights.

Could I put them upside down on the left? Would that still work?

2. qazwsx

qazwsx

3. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Would look weird (from the back) but it would work.

4. Olde Axeman

Olde Axeman

I've done this. It's less than satisfying. Although it will technically work, using keys from a 4-in-line set on the treble side of a 2+2 usually results those tuning keys having to be turned in the opposite direction of "normal".

This is because the tuning posts on 2+2 systems counter-rotate for tightening, whereas all 4 posts on an in-line system rotate in the same direction.

To clarify, I'm saying that normally the treble side keys are turned counterclockwise to tighten. Using bass side keys on the treble side will require a clockwise turn to tighten.

If the deviation from normal turning convention doesn't put you off then it will work though.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. wolfkeller

wolfkeller Supporting Member

Welcome to the world of the lefty! I've reversed the tuning peg itself to make it tighten the right way but it means the frame will be reversed. That means drilling new holes for the screws. This is for open gear style. I have a $2400 Spector with schaller machines, they tighten backwards!!!! Retarded