Bad Ass Bridges

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by timbass2882, Nov 2, 2012.

1. timbass2882

timbass2882

Today I was talking to a luthier who was at one point of time partners with MTD M.Tobias. He has been in the business for years. This guy can tell you what type and brand of strings you have on your bass just by looking at them. I'm not going to put his name out there.

But anyways he stated that he replaces a lot of bass players fender stock bridges for bad ass bridges. He stated that's all players talk about. He advised me that the fender stock bridges were build better then the bad ass bridges. I was told the bad ass bridges were made of pot metals. Which he stated they just take different types of metal heat them together and put them in a mold.

He also explained that there were better bridges out there that cost a lot and is worth spending the money, but just because it's a bad ass bridge does not mean it's bad ass. Now he did state out of all the bad ass bridges he like's the bad ass 3.

This came out of a well season luthier's mouth not my's. I just want to know how you guy's feel about this.
  2. 4001

I have Badass I's on two of my Rickenbackers and a Badass II on my Geddy Lee Jazz Bass. I have no complaints about them whatsoever.
  3. redhed

redhed TUBE LOVER! Gold Supporting Member

I still love those BADASS bridges.
  4. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

They always sounded good to me.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mellowinman

mellowinman Not a Clique Member Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Who should I believe? An expert, or my own self? My Fender Jazz came to me with a Badass II on it.

I wouldn't dream of changing it out. It's easy to adjust and intonate, and I get compliments on the bass's sound, and love playing it. Would a different bridge make a difference?

I HAVE NO IDEA AT ALL.

But'cha don't fix what ain't broke.

That's all ah'm sayin'.
  7. Wallace320

Wallace320

I too prefer BadAssIII because technically it's a stringthru, so a system that grants me a bit more sustain on basses (bolton) which I prefer yet not having as much of it as neckthru
    But then again, Gotoh 303 and 404 outdo BadAssII and III everytime.

Cheers,
    Wallace
  8. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

I use them to provide ballast against neck dive, and I like the ones that are factory pre-slotted for consistent string spacing along the fretboard. Other than that, the sonic advantages I've noticed are negligible. Mostly what they do is make your bass heavier. YMMV. I spent a lot of money to learn this.
  9. PrietoBass

PrietoBass How does he do that? Supporting Member

Q: How did you get into modifying Jazz Basses? What was your first step?

A: "The first and foremost overall improvement is a bridge replacement. The stock bridge is of little use other than anchoring the strings. I installed a Leo Quan Badass II replacement that cost under $100, and I could instantly feel the whole bass vibrate the way it should. I noticed improved intonation and action as well." ~ Uriah Duffy (Points North, Starship, Whitesnake, the Family Stone, Alicia Keys, Christina Aguilera); Bass Player Magazine (Holiday 2012; pp. 20).

Another story (from here)

"Roger Sadowsky started out as a guitar technician. NY studio musicians would take their guitars and basses to him for alignments, fret jobs, new pickups, etc. That's what he originally did for me.

One day he suggested I change my bridge from the standard Fender bridge to a 'Badass' bridge. He also suggested he install an onboard preamp in my bass to boost the highs and lows. That bass is now a part of history.

Since then, Roger has created his own bass, guitar and preamp line (Sadowsky). I own several Sadowsky basses and his Outboard Preamp. It really makes the bass sound phat.

Thanks for giving me that Marcus Miller sound!"

— MARCUS MILLER
  10. Nino D

Nino D

I have a Badass on my Geddy lee too. Love the look ,has good sustain and easy to adjust.I want to swap out the stock bridge on my MIM Fender P bass for one. The new Nate Mendel P comes stock with the Badass II also.
  11. NOVAX

NOVAX

Gary er Geddy likes em.
  12. fourfinger

fourfinger

For my son's tenth birthday a few years ago, I found a very cheap black bass on Craigslist, and tricked it out the way I knew he'd like it -- skull knobs, skeleton strap, and "BADASS" II bridge, in part because I knew he'd enjoy showing his friends the name on it.

After the bridge change, I noticed an instant improvement, from a bass that felt "cheap" to one that felt like a better instrument. I later installed one on a lightweight bass of mine (Fender USA JP90) and noticed some improvement there too.

I am sure there are a lot of good bridges, and I would say the badass II is one of them.
  13. Rip Frisket

Rip Frisket

I never have any issues with my Badass II bridge. It doesn't bust strings and everything stays put. It's a nice hunk of sturdy metal.
  14. PazzoBasso

PazzoBasso

Everyone's got an opinion...

BA bridges definitely look nicer than stock, I can't hear a difference (some can)... definitely more user friendly than stock Ric bridges...

I've been using them since the 80's - there weren't as many direct replacement options back then...

I'm in the "almost anything but bent plate" club - purely on an aesthetic plane...

They're Badass...
  15. SurferJoe46

SurferJoe46

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

...and ha!

Gawd - I love this stuff.

I shouldda bought into their IPO - did they ever offer one? I could be rich!

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
  16. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

I put a lot of BA bridges on basses for people when I managed a guitar store ('77-'88). I never once did it and felt it made any improvement. Changes, yes; improvement no.

Most of the perceived improvement is that they also got new strings, and a proper setup when I put a new bridge on...

John
  17. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

For as many famous bassists that use BA bridges there are at least as many that use Fender's cheap, flimsy, poorly designed bent steel bridge. It all boils down to opinion.
    I think stock bridges do a great job. I have BA bridges on a couple of my basses as well and I think they do a great job. Slightly different sounds, both good depending on what you're doing and what you like.

Bottom line....it's pretty hard to screw-up a Fender bass, they sound pretty good if that's what you're into.
  18. Peepaleep

Peepaleep Supporting Member

The difference between the tone of a badass and a standard bent-plate bridge is barely noticeable to me, and I can only detect a difference when playing solo with no other instruments. Anyone who says they can head a difference when playing live is either lying or has some incredibly developed ears. It's worth the money if you've convinced yourself that there is $100 worth of difference, but I can't hear it. Spending 1/3 as much $ on a different brand of strings will change your tone much more than switching to a Badass bridge. YMMV
  19. IronLung1986

IronLung1986

I put an original badass on my rickenbacker and it was the answer to all my prayers. The difference was not so much in tone but in function and reliability. But I'll probably never replace the cheap stock bridge on my P bass because it functions perfectly and has always been reliable.

Basically, the badass is a nice bridge but there's just no need to replace things that work fine.
  20. spaz21387

spaz21387

I have one on my j bass and honestly I dont notice a difference. Its heavier but no real change in tone or sustain. Id much rather have a babicz bridge than the badass II.
  21. BullHorn

BullHorn

Do you like your bass? Why waste money on something that will probably have absolutely no effect on anything?

I've tried Gotoh 201 and BADASS III on some basses and noticed no difference at all.