Bad drummers.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by thenazz, Oct 31, 2013.

1. thenazz

thenazz

I see a lot of post about "guitards" but not much about crappy drummers. Did a pick-up gig last night with two guitars, keys and a drummer. Everyone was pretty good except the drummer, he was awful! He really wasn't even a drummer, just one of these guys that owns dozens of kits, reads Modern Drummer magazine, talks a big game, etc. but in reality can't play to save his life. Everything was boom bap boom bap boom bap (kick snare kick snare etc). I'd tell him "This is Route 66 with a swing feel." Boom bap boom bap. "This is a reggae tune." Boom bap boom bap. The solution? Plenty of vodka tonics. Just needed to vent so it wouldn't fester inside me and grow a cancerous tumor. Carry on.

2. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

Don't get me started.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

3. nojj

nojj Guest

Owning a drum kit doesn't make you a drummer
    any more than owning a hammer makes you a carpenter......

4. nojj

nojj Guest

everybody's a pro here on the interwebs

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Supporting Member

I literally laughed out loud ... boom bap boom bap. That must have been one heck of a long night!

7. hover

hover

The Land of Delusion, indeed.

8. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Almost every gig nightmare I've been involved in has been the result of a drum kit owner.

9. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Karen was both.

I'll let that bad joke sink in...

10. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom Supporting Member

Badum bum. (as opposed to boom bap, boom bap, which, it seems, would make here a good drummer).

11. nordic27

nordic27

Oh yes I had an experience like that. Was hired to record a gospel album with a quartet singing group. Rehearsed all of the material they wanted to record (with no drums as it was going to be guitar, bass, & piano). Get to the studio and here comes this young man who one of the singers knew and they decided to have him play drums on all the tracks! Nice guy but he played every single track with the same beat! Needless to say my copy of that album never saw the light of day again.:scowl:

12. Bassy Mark

Bassy Mark

I play a lot of jams. Music can stand alot of abuse. It cannot survive a bad drummer.

13. 4dog

4dog

bad drummers =a plague on society! or is it a pall..i feget.

14. Bjornar

Bjornar

It is my experience that Chet Bakers words are true: "It takes a pretty good drummer to be better than no drummer"

15. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

So the phone rings and it's an old bandmate of mine inviting me to come hear his band (American traditional music with a few originals) "Heck , if you want , you can sit in on a few songs. "Hey , I've got something going on but after I get done I'll drop by. Probably be able to get there after the first set." "Cool , I'll see you there." I pull into the parking lot and hear the announcement "We'll be back after a short break." I walk in and my friend says hi and wants to know if I want to play drums. "C'mon , you know I don't play drums." He tells me that the guy that owns the drum kit wont mind a bit. I told him I'd rather pass and he walked away with a disapointed look on his face. Break ends and they go back on stage. Now I've heard some terrible drummers in my day but this guy took the cake. Off time , outta step and trying 3 beat fills on 4/4 time songs. One song was all I could endure. I went up and told him "O K , I'll play drums for you" Heck all I can do is keep a beat but I ended up playing the rest of the night for them. After the gig , everyone in the band thanked me profusely. So yeah , just because a guy owns a drum kit doesn't mean he's a drummer.

16. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

I could never understand all the comments and posts about guitar players. I could care less about the guitar player. It's the drummer who matters from a bass players perspective. I've played with drummers so good that all I had to do was play a note here or there and it sounded so good. This dude was all groove! Then there's those that make you want to take up golf. Guys who couldn't swing on a meat hook.

17. InsaneBassninja

InsaneBassninja

All yes... I was a drumer... Then I kicked me off the Durms and Threw a Bass at me and its been love ever since.

18. Fridge8

Fridge8

I've had a few bad experiences with drummers but I'll stick to one tail.

I used to play in a technical death metal band and we had a really hard time finding a drummer. We found a guy who a lot of people recommended as a great drummer and we got him in for a practice. On his arrival to the practice room I could tell he was a pompous arrogant prick but we had been looking for so long we needed to give him a fair chance. We all set up without issue, tuned up and ready to play. He was pissing around tuning every drum skin and "fixing this terrible kit". It sounded all right to me but hey, he's the damn drummer, can't take him that long. 2 hours in to our 3 hour practice/audition and he hadn't played a beat with us. We practised a few tunes with out him and we tried writing a new tune. He insults our music as he half arsedly plays along with us and we finish. We did not call him back. Thinking back, no one who recommended him had ever played with him before or were even musicians. We never did find a good enough drummer for that band. Good extreme metal drummers are like gold dust around here.

19. Cycho

Cycho

I've experienced two guest drummers sitting in with us on stage. One was terrific and the other god-awful. The latter did his best to demonstrate his manly strength by hitting the drums as hard as possible. Actually his time was OK but no chops and wayyyyyy too loud.

20. Not yet

Not yet

It so much work trying to carry a bad drummer and an incredible high with a good one

Rather not play with a bad one

21. Nagrom

Nagrom

The drummer from hell
    Is alive and well
    Living in my town

He has a cowbell
    Clamped to the stand
    Once was too much

He stares at his lap
    Beats up the song
    Louder and faster