1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Bad Experience!!!

Discussion in 'Bass Central' started by masoncole, Dec 11, 2013.

1. masoncole

masoncole Supporting Member

Called up today and was handled very poorly by someone answering phone. Guy was short with me and made me feel like an idiot. I quess my $3200 doesn't mean anything. It will not happen again though!!
  2. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

They have alway been excellent when I have dealt with them and very helpful. I'm sorry you had a bad experience. How was the guy short with you or how did he make you feel like an idiot?
  3. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Same thing happened to me...twice. Lost my $1500 quick. I'd name names, but its not like anything would be done about it. I really don't appreciate the hurried attitude I got every time I called (from one particular employee who by most accounts is an "awesome dude".)

Not to mention the contradictory info (lies) I got on a certain Fender bass that they said was being "discontinued". I could go into much further detail, but instead I just hope they address the poor communication skills and inventory knowledge of certain people handling their calls.
  4. basschanges

basschanges Supporting Member

I'm sorry to hear that you guys had bad experiences. My experience has been just the opposite. The guys at Bass Central have been nothing but kind and courteous. Not to delegitimize your experiences, it's just a shame you got a bad taste in your mouth from one of the few remaining bass specialty brick and mortar stores.

I do think they need a serious overhaul on their website though...Fern Park, Florida isn't too easy to get to for most of us, so the website should be an online analogue of the store itself, complete with up to date inventory and a more friendly user interface. Having top of the line basses in stock means customers are often faced with having to pay thousands of dollars for products about which they have very limited information, a risk only amplified by the recent stories of inconsistencies between basses ordered on the Bass Central website and basses received. An up to date website with as much product information (sound clips, video clips, back orders, inventory list) as possible would make it a much more comfortable and encouraging buying experience.
  5. LightGroove

LightGroove

Do you guys think flaming and spewing on a simple forum will lend better results then say..calling the store owner? Do you think they dont want your money? I mean really.

They have a walk in business in addition to their phone and internet sales. Im going to guess they field a crap ton of garbage calls a day. They also have limited time.
  6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Absolutely. Store owners are generally super defensive about their business, and many are surprisingly bad at handling difficult customers. On the other hand, there are plenty of examples of cases where spreading the word online has gotten concrete results.
    How is that even a point?
    How is that even an excuse?
  7. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

As a former store and sales manager, 'vague' and general complaints and concerns used to drive me crazy .. if someone has an issue, there is a very good chance that someone in control is not aware of it, and/or wants to know about it .. I always had a sign over the counter, "If you are happy with the service you receive, please tell a friend ... If you are NOT happy with the service you receive, PLEASE, PLEASE tell ME immediately" .... I had my name, and Store/Sales Manager under it with a picture ... I found that helped as an incentive to staff as well ;) .. JMHO
  8. petrus61

As a store/sales/purchasing manager, I have little patience for blasé attitudes and misinformation regarding products from any businesses staff, especially when that misinformation is espoused is in the interest of making a sale, as if the clientele didn't educate themselves first. That's as detailed as I'm going to get on that subject and I'm not going to name names (though anyone who's dealt with BC knows who I'm talking about because he's been there forever) because employees are a reflection of a business...at least they should be when they've been part of a business that long. I'm sure OP and myself aren't the first people who have been dealt with as such and BC should know about it.

The customer is (almost) always right when their requests are reasonable, basic and don't cost a retail establishment anymore time and money that they already provide as a cost of doing business and providing their stated goods/services. It goes with the territory. Someone calls or walks into the shop, they are to be treated with kindness, fairness and most importantly respect. I spend a great deal of time training and maintaining staff to do just that and when I don't see other operations doing the same, regardless of scale, it rubs me the wrong way. Happens once, an anomaly. Happens again, its a problem. The worst part for me was hearing all the great feedback about BC and getting just the opposite. It really is an awesome, unique place. Maybe some of the staff can step it up a little and keep in mind who really signs their checks: the customer.

But hey, I'm sure they sell enough basses to where they don't need mine or OP's business anyway:)
  9. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

When I have a hard time with a sales rep or feel they are not treating me like I think they should, I ask to speak to the manager or the owner.

If I had $3200 to spend on a bass and called there and was not treated properly I would have no problem asking to speak to Beaver.
    If he gave me a hard time I would move on
    But something tells me he wouldn't.........
  10. vishuddha

vishuddha 100% Mediocre Supporting Member

Absolutely. Losing one customer over the phone is negligible but getting bad PR on a huge bass forum is not.

There are so many examples of a company not caring about a customer until the internet got wind of the incident.
  11. masoncole

Customer is not always right but he/she is always the customer. They basically sign your paycheck.
  12. masoncole

There is only one boss. The customer. And he can fire everybody in the company from the chairman on down,simply by spending his money somewhere else!
  13. LightGroove

LightGroove

Look..if you have a personal axe to grind...grind it but to come on here and flame away and not "name names but you know who Im talking about. No I dont know who you are talking about.

Man up and call the dude...quit hiding on here.

For the record Ive never purchased from these folks and dont know them from Adam.
  14. LightGroove

LightGroove

Sure as well as the seller can sell to folks who are really interested in purchasing their products instead of using them for informational purposes and then buying elsewhere at a different price.
  15. LightGroove

LightGroove

Also to say small business owners are generally "super defensvie" has to be one of the most ignorant things I have read in a long time. Dont mix personal issues with honesty and integrity.
  16. petrus61

The only one taking anything "personally" here seems to be you. There are no rules being broken and nobody is "flaming". Someone had a bad experience and shared. Deal with it.
  17. LightGroove

LightGroove

Why cant the OP answer the responding question? What was it you asked that seemed to have a "short" response from the staff.

Then to make a statement on here with "I guess they dont want my $3200" smells rather immature. Call the owner.. tell em what happened..let him make it right... You will see if they want your $$
  18. LightGroove

LightGroove

My only beef is described as such above. Instead of manning up and getting the results we want we'd rather coward and hop on a forum to let others pat us on out back and make us feel better. If you really wanted whatever $3200 thing you were after you would have made it happen...plain and simple
  19. basschanges

basschanges Supporting Member

I see it from both sides, if that's possible...

It's a forum dedicated to the store in question! What better place to leave a review where it will a.) be seen by the store's management and b.) be seen by others, thus further propelling a response from store management. It's not like he took a pot shot in a venue where no one from the store would be able to respond.

The OP should have added more detail, true. And if I ran Bass Central, I would have preferred that the customer come to me first rather than harming my business my giving me a bad review on a public forum. I would still check this dedicated forum daily for issues that potential customers have.
  20. thedude77md

thedude77md

Yup. Considering the owner of Bass Central chewed me out and got smug with me b/c I bought a bass from a different dealer after his folks tried to strong arm me into a sale on the grounds of "we can only honor the price if you order now." That price was higher than elsewhere too.

Mind you, I had never spoken to the owner before. Exchanged pleasant emails about prices with an employee and I advised him I went elsewhere. Next day Beaver sends me said email. If I can find it (four years ago), I'll post it here.