Bad fret rattle on E string first fret GL L2000

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BrentSimons, Mar 9, 2014.

1. BrentSimons

BrentSimons Supporting Member

Hey Guys,
    My G&L L2000 has developed a horrible fret rattle on my open E string at the first fret. I have never needed to adjust the neck since I received the bass new in 2008. Is it possible I've developed a twist in the neck? :( The rattle only occurs at the first fret on the E string and just barely on A string but I have to dig in really hard to make it happen on the A. I have not modified the bass in any way and I am using the same gauge and brand of strings the bass came with Daddario XL's 45-100. Should I put a call into G&L? I don't have any G&L dealers here in Vermont.
    Brent

2. Technicality

Technicality

By my best guess it could be (in order from easiest to fix to hardest):
    -A dodgy string.
    -The action has shifted with temperature/humidity, and by getting a hair lower highlighted an issue that has always been there.
    -The nut (if this is only happening on an open string).
    -A fret that has moved somehow and is now not level with the others on that side.
    -Something more exotic like a twisted neck

If it were me, I'd work down the list ruling out the simple stuff before panicking. Swap the strings and see if it goes away. Raise the action a tiny tiny bit and see if it goes away. Check the nut (if applicable). Check the frets with a fret rocker. Then if none of those reveal the problem, get in contact with G&L or get a pro to look at it.

3. lz4005

lz4005

When you say 'rattle on the open E at the first fret' you mean that when you play the open E it is hitting the first fret?

The first thing you should do is check to see if the E side of the 1st fret has popped up. When you push down on it, it shouldn't have any give, it should be firm against the fretboard.

4. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

I had my guitar in for an unrelated matter & the tech noticed the slot in the nut had worn to the point that it was causing a rattling E. Simple fix. Heap a little pile of baking powder in the slot. Cover w/spot of super glue (liquid not gel). It dries quickly & you'all be able to file it down at that point. He also used the rounded edge of the q tip to roll in the slot right after the glue before filing to tamp it down and........no more buzzing! This worked for my Roscoe Beck V that I've read some folks have added a new tree to avoid this - no need, this is much simpler.

5. Register to disable this ad