1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Bad input jack? Bad driver on Peavey cab?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Diesel Kilgore, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

Carvin R1000 and a Peavey 115 BX BW 8 ohm.

The Carvin works, tested through a Mesa 210 cab. But when hooked to my Peavey, the Peaveys only sound is a very low muffle, like static almost, although the bass does come through.

If you tap on the cab it will burst out for a second with clean audio then go silent completely or back to the low muffle.

Can anyone helpe me trouble shoot this? I want to open up the cab sometime this week and see if anything is out of the ordinary. Could this be a faulty input jack issue or possibly a driver issue? I feel like with the intermittance of the cab sometimes that it must be a fixable problem. But I just dont know. What does this seem like to you guys?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Bad solder joint. There are only a few wires in the cab, so check both ends of each wire for any sign of weakness. Resolder. Or, it could be the jack is bent out of shape, so make sure the contact tabs inside the jack are connecting securely to the plug.

3. 4-stringB

4-stringB

If it isn't wiring issues. the next thing to check is the driver itself. The older BW speakers are famous for the foam filter in the magnet core disentegrating into black goo. Remove the basket assy from the magnet assy, check for the gunk, if that is the problem, the crud can be cleaned with alcohol. Remove the big chunks by hand, and then fold a clean piece of paper soak it in alcohol, and clean the voice coil gap. The paper should fit snugly in the gap, but loose enough to slide around the perimeter. Keep doing this 'til the paper comes out clean. Then clean the voice coil and reassemble the speaker. Hope this is some help...

4. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

Awesome guys. Thanks for the help. Both of your suggestions seem simple enough. Might dive in tonight and check both.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

It couldnt be so simple as this could it? I dont have an extra cable to test right now. But I will tonight. When I looked at the input jack one of the leads from the speaker (ground) wasnt hooked onto its slot on the jack but resting against the plug tab!

Im gonna leave it apart and just connect the speaker back and test tonight when I get a new cable. Hopefully its that simple.

7. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

Well no. Wasnt that simple. Same issue. Gonna try cleaning the driver.