Bad Monkey Mod Help

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kleinenenten, Nov 14, 2012.

1. kleinenenten

kleinenenten

Just got a Bad Monkey that I'm looking to mod. Problem is, the hex keys I have don't fit. It serms to be between 2.5 and 3 on metric, but both are definitely off.

Also wouldn't mind any other helpful hints for modding. This will be my first mod. I plan on doing the bass mod and the mids reducing mod, but don't know about a switch. Would that be hard? I won't be physically doing the mod myself, I know someone who does this stuff a lot. Basically, any suggestions/other mods I should be aware of for my Monkey?

Thanks in advance!
  2. Steveaux

Steveaux

7/64" Hex key.
  3. Waldo19

Waldo19

I did the bass boost and mid-cut mod myself.

At C11 I replaced the 0.22 uf with a 1.0 uf Cap.

At C5 I replaced the 0.047 with a 0.1 uf Cap.

Took about 30 minutes.

I imagine the switch would be a more time consuming affair. I didn't bother with it. The beauty of this mod is how simple and cheap it is. That being said if you have good instructions and your guy knows what he is doing go for it. But honestly, I don't think you would miss the ability to play through the unmodded version very much.
  4. kleinenenten

kleinenenten

If memory serves, the .1uf can also be a .15uf. Those both cut mids, but does your .1 cut enough or do you find yourself wanting more mids cut? I know .15 cuts more mids, so I was just wondering.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

I can back up the info already said as I have done it myself also. Be careful though because my pedal had a god awful solder job on it half the joints If not most were all cloudy and not shiny and wouldn't melt properly or solder properly either just a pain in general
  7. Waldo19

Waldo19

I considered going with a 0.15 but 0.1 seemed to be more common from what I could find on TB and the rest of the net.

I feel the mid cut with the 0.1 uf is enough to make the pedal more transparent (ie more of the character of my bass coming through) without removing too much of the tube screamer essence (ie mid hump) of the pedal. Just makes it more suitable to bass. However, I can't claim to have directly compared the effect of the two different caps directly (they didn't have a 0.15 in stock at my radioshack at the time).

If I were you I'd buy both a 0.1 and 0.15 uf. Try it with 0.1 and if you want more mid cut then remove it and put in a 0.15 uf. All it will cost you is an extra 20 minutes of work (if you decide you want more mids cut) and an extra $1.50 for the extra cap. IMHO, YMMV etc...
  8. kleinenenten

kleinenenten

I'm not necessarily wanting a mid hump at all, so I'm thinking the .15 would suit me. I'm actually digging the way this pedal makes my other effects sound tubier with the Monkey engaged, which was the reason I wanted to buy this pedal. Not only do I love the Monkey's distortion, I love how well it plays with my other pedals, and if I get rid of the mid hump, I shouldn't have to touch EQ at all, just go from one sound to another at the stomp of a box!

My philosophy has been to get a relatively clean sounding amp (GK 700RB-II) and when I want dirt, to dial it in with pedals. I just want dirt, no EQ changes, and I have active basses, so if I want a mid hump, I dial it in on the spot. Anyway, that's enough of my rambling. Thanks for the help everyone!
  9. kleinenenten

kleinenenten

Also, does it matter if the capacitors are metal film or ceramic? Are there pros and cons to each? And how do you remove the LED? I was gonna change it, but after a little tugging, it didn't seem like it wanted to be changed...
  10. kleinenenten

kleinenenten

So, just opened up my Bad Monkey, and surprise, it was pre-modded! It already has the mids cut on C5! Happy day, now I just need to open up the bass a bit. You know, I had thought the mids weren't so boosted as everyone had mentioned, but never having used any sort of Tubescreamer or clones I had no reference point. This definitely explains why, I thought maybe my hearing was already going or something! And here's a pic for proof!

Also, is there a place that carries capacitors in store? I went to RadioShack, and they didn't have the 1.0uf capacitor for C11 in stock.

Attached Files: