Bad news for Star Wars nerds

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by powderfinger, Feb 25, 2014.

1. powderfinger

powderfinger

Now, I'm not talking casual movie fans here, but more or less us nerds who have invested time and money into the expanded universe over the years. The expanded universe covers ancient Jedi history (going back thousands and thousands of years prior to ep. IV) and goes 50 or so years into the future, showcasing the Jedi offspring of the original characters. There are literally hundreds of books, e-books, comics, etc. and as for myself... I've been reading SW novels for 20 years or so (started with the Thrawn Triology).

However, with Disney releasing the new SW, it looks like a complete reboot, with all new novels/comics, etc. I don't know about any of you guys, but Ill watch the new movies, but no way am I going to invest in a reboot of the expanded universe. I feel kind of cheated that all the stories Ive read now all of a sudden never happened.

Yeah, I know... nerd problems... but yeah...

2. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

It's just a film. I'm looking forward to seeing what Disney do with the franchise.

After all, they did give us the quite magnificent 'The Black Hole' only 2 years after Star Wars.

3. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Is it a complete reboot though? I thought it was an episode 7 type deal?

Can't see why Star Wars nerds would be all that bothered, Lucas bastardised the franchise long before flogging it to disney (and I'm not just talking about the `prequels', I'm talking about the constant fiddling with the originals too).

4. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story Supporting Member

I dig the original trilogy and my brother is really big into the extended universe. His take on it was pretty much that there are countless arcs in the XU and that these films are yet another and if you don't like them you can ignore them and stick to what you feel is the best/most fun canon.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    On top of what is said above, isn't 97% of what you're talking about way outside of any kind of official canon? I don't think you can draw parallels between what is essentially fan fic versus whatever it is Lucas et. al. do with it (even if it is ruin it). Much is the same with Trekkies who get really hung up on fanfic stuff...

7. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

What are some other nerd problems you have Powderfinger?

8. Milk

Milk

I don't care for the new movies, but I hate the extended universe too, And yeah I did read some novels, also played some games set in it, some of those games I enjoyed but just because I like good gameplay and the original star wars universe...the old republic or anything in the further future, don't give a ****. It was a lot of twattery. I mean go in wookiepedia and search the entry for anything and try not to roll your eyes and facepalm. They have a developed backstory to ANYTHING YOU MIGHT HAVE EVER SEEN IN THE BACKGROUND OF ANY SW FILM.

Good for them for ignoring it. They should. It would leave them zero liberty, might as well just adapt the novels written.... Not to mention the general public isn't familiar with them.

To me there's only one SW. The original trilogy. Everything beyond that basically doesn't count no matter how approved (or made) by Lucas it was.

9. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

LOL, douchey but LOL all the same.

I'm sure we all geek out about something others find dull.

10. powderfinger

powderfinger

Voltron.

11. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

I heard the Disney films are supposed to stay true to the Lucas storyboards.

12. jrthebassguy

jrthebassguy Supporting Member

From what I understand, many of the EU books are no-longer going to be considered canon, but very select few storylines will stay put. For example, the Old Republic is still a big moneymaker (via SWTOR) so that era of storyline will stay put.

13. tastybasslines

Haha, I thought I would try to drum up something more interesting than Star Wars nerdons.

14. powderfinger

powderfinger

Do Thunder Cats arouse your interest more?

15. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

So are you saying that there's other stuff out there other than the 6 films?

16. tastybasslines

Still as funny now as it was 8 years ago...

17. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

I always preferred She-Ra, Princess Of Power.

18. tastybasslines

Yes, the do actually. Watched them as a kid.

I was hoping you were going to say that you have trouble getting laid or some other momumental "nerd" problem.

19. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

20. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    I hate when I go to see a movie that provides new content.

21. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

I'm a huge sci fi nerd, as my Gorn avatar might suggest (you're a nerd too if you recognize it), but I never cared for Star Wars.

It's not even science fiction. It's knights and battles and such that happens to take place in space. I haven't read any of the comics or books, but I think the movies are all vastly over rated.