1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Bad Pickup in '76 P Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lucyfur, Feb 23, 2014.

1. lucyfur

lucyfur Supporting Member

I went to use my '76 P bass the other day for the first time in a long while, only to find that the "E&A" side of the pickup wasn't working. I opened it up to see what I could find. Everything looks normal, and the "good" side measures around 5k ohms, while the "bad" side measures around 35 ohms. Any suggestions, or is it time for a replacement?

2. bassliner50

bassliner50

If you measured the bad side and measured an "open" (infinate Ohms) then i would think the coil has a break some where and no current is conducted. Usually these breaks occur where the external connections meet the end of the coil winding. 35 Ohms? That a different story. Could be a high resistance section of coil, or a partially conducting solder joint. Check those carefully, even if you have to resolder. The coil wire is very delicate so be careful. If you are not met with success, then purchase a Fender '62 Original P pickup. I got mine for about $48 used on ebay. I really like the tone.

3. lucyfur

lucyfur Supporting Member

That's what I was expecting, to measure an "open", so I too was surprised by the 35 ohm reading. I haven't touched a soldering iron to anything yet, so I'll probably get out the low wattage iron later today and see what happens. Thanks for the advice.

4. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka Supporting Member

if you can't get it working yourself then you should get the bad coil rewound...if you don't want to bother with that then you should seem me the pickup :smug:

5. Register to disable this ad