1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Badass Bass V install - any advice?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by pnutz, Feb 15, 2014.

1. pnutz

pnutz Supporting Member

hi,

i know i'm probably over-thinking this but just wanted any advice or help before i do this. want this done properly the first time and looks easy enough to do myself so....

just picked up a badass bass V bridge and am ready to install. so i need to fill in the old holes and drill new ones.

i saw online that i should move the bridge saddles halfway between the front and back of the bridge to properly determine scale (35"). is that the standard approach?

any other tricks or tips are definitely appreciated. such as:

1. any preference on what to fill the original screw holes with.

2. tips on lining up bridge exactly where it should be mounted.

3. proper drilling methods so i don't crack the finish.

4. anything else i may be missing.

again, i may be over-thinking this but want to get this right. thanks for any and all help!

2. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

Make sure you find the centreline so that the bridge won't be offset to either side. Put the saddle for the highest string just back a bit from the front of the bridge (maybe 1/8 of the total amount of travel available) and measure your 35" from the nut or 17.5" from the 12th fret to the centre of the saddle. Mark the mounting holes from there.

Intonation settings seldom need to go forward towards the nut and the thinnest string is invariably the closest to the nut, so if it DOES need to go forward a bit you've got some movement but more likely every string underneath that will go further away from the nut.

Put some masking tape (painters tape) over the points you're going to drill, it'll let you mark off the drill points and stop the bit from skiding

3. unclebass

unclebass

You definitely don't want the bridge too close to the neck. You will run out of room to set intonation, and will but extra stress on the B string as it would have to make a sharp turn over saddle to back of bridge. I would do exactly what Jools said. If the holes line up with your current bridge, you could certainly give that location a try. Then if that doesn't work out, you can determine how much you would need to shift the bridge.

4. pnutz

pnutz Supporting Member

ah, ok. so the bridge measures about 2" from front to back. so your suggestion is to set the saddle of the 'g' string 1/8 of the way from the front of the bridge. so that would put it at 1/4" from the front correct?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

what bass? the leo quan 5 is a lot wider spaced then many 5-string basses out there; also, are we sure it's really an upgrade over the stock bridge anyway?

7. pnutz

pnutz Supporting Member

DSC02022.jpg

DSC02021.jpg

thanks guys for the help. i'm not really a d.i.y. kinda person but really wanted to do this. wow, my bass just got really heavy! hehehehe... no neck dive issues here.

always nice to know i can always go on talkbass to get help (and a little bit of confidence).

kudos! :bassist: