Badass Bridge on Precision Special

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Baronoli, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Baronoli

Baronoli

Hi everyone,

Just registered and had a query!

I'm finally getting around to upgrading the hardware on my Fender Precision Special Deluxe. I changed the pickup to a Basslines STKJ2B (first time changing and my bass being active confused me even more!), now I'm drawing my attention to the bridge before I take it in for a setup.

Having a precision body but a jazz neck I'm not sure what badass bridge would be suitable for me? I saw a precision one on eBay but I'm a bit worried about the string spacing as the neck is thinner than the precision one.

If anyone can give me a hand I'd appreciate it greatly!

Thanks!
  2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

First question - why do you think this is necessary? (What's the problem you are trying to solve?)

Second question - why do you think it's an upgrade? (Many of us like the bent metal bridge better.)

If you feel convinced this is necessary, check the mounting screw alignment - there were (I think) 3 series of BA bridges, and the screw numbers and spacing differ. It would be nice to avoid drilling more holes.

Also- I understand that the BA bridge has higher saddles than the original bridge and you may have some challenges getting the action where you want it.
  3. randyg

randyg Supporting Member

The string spacing on a precision and a jazz is the same at the bridge , the strings only get closer together at the nut. The same bridge works on both of them. Get the non slotted bridge and if the action is too high , you can just slot it a little deeper. A set of small hand files is all you need to slot the saddles , they file real easy. Many people may say the Badass is a waste of money but if you want one , don't listen to them and buy it.
  4. SurferJoe46

SurferJoe46

Why ruin something to jump on a bandwagon that gets you nowhere?
  5. Batmensch

Batmensch Supporting Member

Badasses are overrated. Ask the umpty-hundred people a week trying to sell theirs each week here on TB.
  6. Rocky McD

Rocky McD Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    In my opinion, it's not upgrading, it's just changing and not necessarily changing for the better.
  7. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

this has the saddles with the single groove in the middle, right?

the badass would allow you to correct the string spacing so that they line up right between the jazz pickup magnets.

i would just get the vintage threaded-rod saddles and slap them on the stock plate; they solve that problem too, and i'm convinced they sound a little better. (in reality the sound difference is pretty negligible either way.)
  8. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

If it's the MIM Deluxe P Bass Special, it's already got the threaded saddles... Mine is back to wearing the original threaded saddle bridge after I used a BAII on it for awhile - I feel I'm better off without the BAII on this bass...

- georgestrings
  9. Baronoli

Baronoli

Only went on recommendations from a few people who use them, I had a bit of money spare and wanted to spend it on my bass.

If the performance isn't that noticeable I'll just stick with the stock bridge.

Well thanks all for saving me that bit of money, will have a bit extra now for a new Gallien Krueger!