Badass II vs Squier CV Bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by gimp, Feb 1, 2013.

1. gimp

gimp Supporting Member

I'm currently looking into trades for my black Badass II bridge (see the classifieds). I've been looking for a straight up trade for a chrome one, but I've also been thinking about another option.

I bought the Badass 2 way back when, before I really knew much. I've seen mixed reviews here on TB. I always liked it when it was on my bass, but I didn't put it on because I was looking for anything.

Aesthetically, I like the Squier CV Bridge. I know it's "high mass" and has brass saddles, but is it really that different from a stock bent metal piece?

With those two options, what would you rather have? Chrome Badass II or the CV?

Thanks!
  2. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

CV all the way. This issue has been debated on TB for years but two very good Guitar shops in my area both talked me out of this bridge years ago before I knew better, that's good enough for me. Snake oil ;)
  3. gimp

gimp Supporting Member

I guess I'm going to point out my ignorance here, but what is the "snake oil" part of the Badass?
  4. rubbadubdub

rubbadubdub

Maaybe the fact that it weighs a lot more than a standard Fender bridge, looks 'wrong' in (my opinion) and as far as i can tell, does nothing for the tone or sustain even when listening through really transparent gear and studio monitors. Mojo b!*+-!?+! Strikes again lol. The only benefit I can see over the bent plate standard job is that if you beat the hell out of your bass then the saddles wont move sideways. You can get bridges on the bay that solve that problem and look good for less than quarter of the price of a badass used so longer as your not China phobic. I'm getting rid of mine to fund something actually worthwhile.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. gimp

gimp Supporting Member

Sounds reasonable. I appreciate it!
  7. 4001

The screw holes on the stock Fender and Badass II do not line up with the ones on the CV bridge, just FYI.
  8. gimp

gimp Supporting Member

Good to know. Much appreciated.
  9. Bobster

Bobster

Also, the CV bridge supposedly has 20mm spacing vs 19mm for standard Fenders. No idea what your Badass has been filed to.

I've got the CV bridge on my Modern Player Jaguar (this is standard) and am very happy with it. It does all the things a bridge is supposed to do and I just don't see any reason to replace it.

All the best with your search!

Bob
  10. RichardCranium

RichardCranium Supporting Member

I installed a bridge identical to the CV bridge on my MIM jazz and it works great. Better than the stock one and I got it off the 'bay for like $28. More heavy duty and eliminated the saddles shifting side to side.
  11. gimp

gimp Supporting Member

You don't have a link to a vendor, do you?
  12. gimp

gimp Supporting Member

13. 4001

14. gimp

gimp Supporting Member

Was the screw pattern the same as your MIM?
  15. 4001

That is the same one that is on my CV Jazz Bass. I have zero problems with it.
    [​IMG]
  16. RichardCranium

RichardCranium Supporting Member

17. gimp

gimp Supporting Member

Most excellent. Just ordered it and put my Badass up for sale.
  18. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah VERY enthusiastic walks... Supporting Member

Media:
    Yeah I haven't done many experiments on bridges and bass tone, but I will say that I prefer a bridge where you don't have to feed the string through a little hole. I got a hipshot brass A-style bridge for my custom P and it's easier to load strings this way.
  19. gimp

gimp Supporting Member

To be honest, the way I play, my overall talent level, and the tone I play with pretty much make this an aesthetic argument.
  20. GM60466

GM60466

I have Badass II bridges on all my original Fender basses. I do not think I would try anything new.
  21. tbplayer59

tbplayer59

I have a BAII on an MIM Jazz fretless and it makes a world of difference. I have a Wilkinson on my 76 P bass which also sounds and looks great with its vintage vibe.