1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Badass or Babicz bridge?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Basstovsky, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Basstovsky

Basstovsky The guy with the dumb username... Supporting Member

So I'm looking to get a new bridge for a project, I've used a great many in the past (gotoh, schaller, hipshot, etc) but I want to try something new, something larger with more saddle contact. Right now I'm looking at either a Babicz FCH Jazz and Precision Bass Bridge or a Badass III bridge for about the same price.
    Leaning towards the Babicz because of how radically different the design is, but I'm also leaning towards the classic looks and rave reviews for the badass.

Deciding factors anyone?
  2. Phendyr_Loon

Phendyr_Loon

I vote BadAss III. The option to top load or string through is an added bonus. I'm not going to say whether I'm an advocate of one way of string vs. the other but you're left with option with the BA.
  3. OkkultistBass

OkkultistBass

Badass.
    Not a fan of Babicz. They're just too....big and out there.
  4. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

I've been playing a mexi j with a babicz on it for some months now and it's been everything I wanted out of a bridge. Totally satisfied. I like it enough I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one if I was looking for something for another bass.

That said, I recently came in to a highway 1 j bass and it's got a BA on it. I have not had enough time with the BA to say if one is better than the other, but so far so good in terms of strings staying in the same place and holding tune and intonation.

This is my first BA and to be honest when I learned I was getting the highway 1 my first thought was to grab a babicz while GC had them marked down $20, but decided to give the BA a good test drive before I made up my mind. All the hype on the BA comes from somewhere so now that I have one actually on a bass I can find out for myself if I'm a member of the BA fan club and just don't know it yet.

In terms of performance I don't think there is a bad choice between these two so I'd say pick whichever look you prefer.
  5. SeaBassTheFish

SeaBassTheFish

"Out there" as in popular or "out there" as in strange?

They're certainly not as omnipresent as BA.
  6. Basstovsky

The only reason I haven't outright bought the badass is because there is a lot of hype around it, and a lot of what people rave about it doesnt seem to be possible for just a change of bridge mass and saddle type, whereas the babicz has a slew of ridiculous adjustments...

Still on the fence, maybe I should just flip a coin haha.
  7. impactwrench

impactwrench

Im not all that familiar with the Badass series, but I guess the II is for 5 hole and the III is for 3 hole stock bridges?

The babicz is $70 at guitar center. I guess it probably doesnt need the opti-grab shelf but I think I prefer it over the BA. However Ive never owned either.
  8. Akami

Akami Four on the floor Supporting Member

At least in part due the fact that BA has been around for decades, and it's presence on Geddy Lee's bass hasn't hurt them either.
  9. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

I like the Babicz. It is lighter than the BA and the saddle adjustment system is awesome!
  10. Mr.Matti

Mr.Matti Supporting Member Supporting Member

Don't have experience with the Badass, but for what it's worth, installed the Babicz and have really liked it. Perfectly matched up with the string spacing and hole alignment, and its engineering is pretty slick. Appearance is always a matter of taste, but to me the thing looks beefy and serious, which is appropriate for a bass guitar.
  11. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

I've found there is a major upside to all those adjustments.

You can take all your strings off and when you put it all back together, intonation is still where it was before you broke it all down.

Once you adjust the babicz and lock it down, it doesn't rely on string pressure to maintain it's settings, and vibration from playing won't cause the string height to walk down if you forget to put some nail polish or (blue only please) locktite on your height adjustment screws.
  12. Basstovsky

Did not realize the Babicz was available at such a good price from GC, definitely think I'm gonna snag one of those considering badass bridges don't ever seem to sell for less than $100
  13. OkkultistBass

OkkultistBass

"Out there" as in strange and covers most of the body.
    Well, at least it did on my old Aerodyne. I love the Badass, it's small, heavy (helps with leveling), and sturdy. Doesn't feel like a random piece of plastic.
  14. RBX4

RBX4

15. Kinetic Shadow

Kinetic Shadow a.k.a. Black Bart Supporting Member

All I'm going to say is that I replaced the stock BAII on my Modulus with a Babicz.
  16. Basstovsky

Picked up the babicz tonight. Weirdest thing ever walking into a GC to buy bass parts, usually all they have are overpriced pickguards. It seems pretty excellent, but still waiting on other parts for this build so I don;t have a chance to try it out yet.
  17. MysticMichael

MysticMichael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

Exactly. Although I've not (yet) owned a Babicz bridge, I've heard nothing but good concerning them. Got a friend who bought one a few months ago. He loves it.

However, I owned and played several Quan BadAss bridges during the past 20+ years or so, and like them very much. Fully-adjustable, compact, good-looking, reasonably-priced (at least when I bought them), and with enough additional mass to add significant punch, attack and sustain to any instrument that may be missing these things.

Say what? Huh? :confused:

MM
  18. Basstovsky

A lot of what I read in fan reviews about badass bridges was more than just "better sustain" or "improved resonance", people would rave about amazing changes in tone, about drastic improvements in the sound of their instrument just by changing a bridge, suddenly a bass that sucked was the best thing ever, like some kind of miracle. I mean as far as I am aware, a bridge isn't going to add or cut bass/mids/treble or alter the overall tone, it just affects how the strings vibrate in relation to the body, things like attack and sustain like you mentioned.
    So before starting this thread, I was hesitant to go the badass way, because it seemed like there was too much hype from fanboys, and not enough legitimate facts about what improvement the bridge actually made over, say, the typical bent plate barrel saddled bridge.

Overall for me it came down to price, the babicz was $70, while the cheapest I could find a pre-slotted badass for was something like $110 plus shipping.
  19. Fuzzbassr

Fuzzbassr

I have a Babicz on a P now and although I like it, I'd gladly trade you for your BA if you decide that it's not for you :)
  20. Grateful

Grateful Supporting Member

I have been really happy with the Babicz on the bass in my Avatar. it has been by far the quickest and easiest bridge to adjust and the most stable.

That being said, I've not owned a BA, so I will offer no opinions on that one way or another. But thousands of folks swear by them so there's gotta be something good there. I would love to try one if it came on something I bought, but I doubt I'd buy a new one retail.