Baddy One Shoe pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Plays_For_Dog, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Plays_For_Dog

Plays_For_Dog

Ok Jimmy, here's some love. We've been talking about your products in other threads, but it's best if we give you your own so we can ask you questions without hijacking the other threads.

Anyone curious about Baddy One Shoe products can now discuss them freely in a dedicated thread. If you have no idea about the company, look here first

The builder is a regular TBer and awesome guy. If there is enough interest, maybe this will turn into a club. For now, lets just give Jimmy a spot where he can answer questions and post links for his company. Talkbass rules state that he has to be asked before he can post, so anyone interested needs to bring it up before he can talk about it. We don't want to get anyone in trouble :D

2. Plays_For_Dog

Plays_For_Dog

I'll go first,

Jimmy, can you upload a demo of the bass on the Honey Comb and link us to it? I know some other TBer's are curious to hear it (me included). Thanks.

3. JamesHommersen

JamesHommersen

I'd like to know more on the Cantralia, especially what the finished model looks like. Excepted release time? I want the proto! :D

4. behndy

behndy

just want to say i'm LOVING my Infinity Drive! very nice sir! gotsa Dark Driving on the way and curious about the chewey, nuancey differences.

thanks Jimbaliya!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Balog

Balog

I'd love to hear an A/B between the Infinity Drive and Honeycomb OD. And a Dark Driving if you have one ;)

7. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Thanks brother :)

This is the only demo that I currently have, so I put it up on the blog until I can record something better. You'll have to excuse the lackluster playing, but I wanted something where you could here the individual notes well, and how they cascade on one another.

first off, glad you like it!

I'll see about an A/B recording of the Infinity and the Honeycomb. I don't have a DD, but it's very similar in overall concept to the DD. Ry and I went slightly different ways on that because we were after different things.

The Honeycomb has a little less overall gain than the DD. My big complaint with low-gain ODs is that they sometimes sound sputtery or fizzy, but I was determined to make something that you could really dig into but still felt like the natural compression of a tube amp.

Oh man, that thing is going to rip, but it's totally different from any of my other designs. It's basically a juiced Scrambler, with a warmer edge and more control over level/fuzz contour than the traditional scrambler design.

I actually have artwork for it, but haven't put it up yet because I've been waiting to get it all together first. The holdup there is a special order drilling template issue. Should be ready for production by March and hopefully I can ship by my birthday on 4/20.

8. Waterpilot

Waterpilot

Well... As it turns out, I have absolutly no control over my "want" vs. "need" mechanism. If anything, that ablility is reversed and "want" wins every time.

I'm starting to lean towards an Iinfinity Drive now. Someone... Please make it stop. :D

9. Plays_For_Dog

Plays_For_Dog

I'd say jump on it. If Ry does decide to do aother DD run, it's won't be for a while. He's got so many other pokers in the fire right now, that I don't see him adding another. Of course, I'm not him so I can only offer my opinion. But, with three new pedals coming out and two others till going on... That's a lot for a dude working out of his garage with a day job and young family.

I'm going to be picking up a Infinity Drive in May when I cruise through Durham. If you're still undecided then, I put up a comparison video for ya.

10. Waterpilot

Waterpilot

That would be fantastic! Though... I'm not sure I can suppress the "want" that long... haha

11. rratajski

rratajski

Disclosures:
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Not necessarily true ;). I have people on the list for a next run. It's 90% happening.

12. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Yeah, I was just going to say I was pretty sure there was at least one more run of the DD. :)

13. Plays_For_Dog

Plays_For_Dog

Sweeeeet! I was hoping you would prove me wrong. I know a lot of TBer's are going to be happy :hyper:

Don't worry Jimmy, I'm still on the hook for that Infinity Drive. I'll never part with my DD, but I think your added flavor will be another staple in my pedal barn.

14. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

It's definitely different animal, so they're a good compliment to one another. ;)

15. behndy

behndy

mmmmmm.... barn. animal. HUSBANDRY.

dirty, DIRTY website potential.

"WATCH SHEEP WITH PEDALS GET IT ON!!!"

16. Waterpilot

Waterpilot

Starting to tip...

17. wiseguyst

wiseguyst

Hey Jimmy- I've got your firecracker fuzz and though I love the tone that it spits out, I'm not able to use it live as it's a little too in the face! Wondering if you would be interested or able to put a blend knob on it?

18. jam.majors

jam.majors

How would you say the honeycomb would compare to the LTD SR? Is it similar in gain structure? Color?

19. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

It would be better to add a tone knob to it. The JunkPuncher is based on that same circuit, and the tone knob really makes it a little more versatile. I could definitely mod it for you. The Firecracker is actually the precursor in many ways because I used it to get the basic fuzz sound I wanted and then added a tone stack and fuzz control to make it a little more versatile.

20. Swicked

Swicked

Hey Jimmy, are you open to doing custom paintjobs?

21. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

One thing that they have in common is a basic transparent nature. Neither are designed to overwhelm your tone, but just dirty it up a bit. The tone control on the honeycomb is designed to be pretty flat counterclockwise, and then roll out bass frequency as you get past noon. Helpful if you're trying to avoid mud with a particularly "gassy" pickup.

A guitar example would be that I set it at 9:00 for my strat, but 1:00 to handle the buckers on my les Paul. I usually keep it between fully counterclockwise to 10:00 with my basses.