1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Badly bowed neck help (rescue bass)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bassbully, Jan 28, 2013.

1. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

So this week I am stopping by a local shop to pick up badly bowed maple neck 89' (I think) Korean Squier II.

Its what I call a rescue bass a real mutt but it is all lonely hanging there and for $65 bucks the tuners (shaller) body ,pups ,bridge is worth that.

I always heard the older maple Squier/Fender necks were tough as nails but this thing is 1/2" at the 12th fret!

The tech there (a good one) said it adjusts but is bottomed out and he wont put any real work in it..is what it is.

I have a love for Squiers the older the better and it called to me. I own 3 MIJ SQ's and a Vista MM so this is my first Korean although I have a nice E series Tele at home.

So do I try to clamp it and add heat? Washers or what? I heard there is a place to send off badly bowed necks..any help there? i might just swap it out but its a nice piece of maple..or was..help? Ideas?
  2. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

3. MRuss

MRuss

Take off the neck, fully loosen truss rod, let it site with something on the back of the neck for a while, then get some washers, at least one but maybe two or 3, and put them on under the nut, restring, and see if you can crank out the bow, if not it may need treatment: heat, etc.
  4. bassbully

5. bassbully

If I decide to do it myself this is the way. I have clamps and a metal piece to clamp it to. I did it years ago to an old bass for a guy but the bow was not real bad and it allowed me more travel on the truss rod. This neck is a banana compared to that one. :(
  6. 77 StingRayBass

77 StingRayBass

I have, sent my VM Jazz neck to Erik @ warpedneck this past December. If you read the info on his site, he's been doing this service fo over 15 years. And he told me over the phone, "I can fix your neck", what a great surprise when I received it back, perfectly straight and 'Better than new".
  7. bassbully

Hey thanks. Since this is one of the older and nice maple slabs I am leaning on sending it there. I can't buy many maple necks for $75.00 and it's original to the bass.

What was turnaround like on your neck? Not that it matters but you hear all these stories on TB about shops taking months for simple work.
  8. RhynoRock

RhynoRock

I had to have this very service done to my 4003, but I hired a local shop and they went through everything with it, got it friggin perfect.
  9. 77 StingRayBass

77 StingRayBass

bbully, I sent mine in during the holiday season, so it took a little longer. I think (don't hold me to this...) it's about a week or so. Give Erik a call, chat with him and shoot him your questions. I'm sure you'll be happy with his service!
  10. bassbully

Cool! A week in nothing, thanks allot for the info. I will address this more once I pickup the bass this week.

I'm a sucker for basses like these the old MIJ Squiers and now my first Korean Squier. It black... banged up but the body design is cool with no its pickguard look..had to rescue it :D
  11. temmrich

temmrich Supporting Member

And don't forget to post some before and after pics.
  12. bassbully

Dang it! I'm known around here as the guy with no pics...I suk at uploading them. You think I would learn. :meh:
  13. Arial Bender

Arial Bender Supporting Member

My pawnshop MIK SquireII, $89.00. I bought it for the body etc. for a project because the neck looked bad. Got it home cleaned it up, active EMGs EMG pots, added about a 3/16" washer and that saved it.
  14. bassbully

That be the one I'm picking up but it's black and not in that good of shape. The one I am getting is black for $65.00. I love the simple slab and no pickguard look. How does it play and sound? Also where did you get the washers at?
  15. Arial Bender

That's why I wanted it, no PG. I'm a carpenter/ handyman, I just happened to have a brass washer That was the right outer dia. and drilled it out.
    It sounds real nice, and plays well. I'm just learning to play, but my pro neighbor says it's great except he likes jazz necks.
  16. bassbully

Awesome..congrats. The look of that bass plus I'm a old Squier and P bass lover drew me to this mutt in that shop. Enjoy it for that is a nice looking bass.
  17. Arial Bender

18. bassbully

So this is what the Squier neck looked like a the 12th fret. Sorry for the crappy cell pics its all I have.(below pic #1)

I removed it and sprayed penetrating oil on the truss rod on the headstock end. The bottom of the rod is partly exposed at the base of the neck and I sprayed it to. I thought about clamping but felt It still had some play.

I put it between my benchs bottom shelf and floor and put pressure on the neck while I turned the trussrod. It took a few try's but this what I got. (below pic #2)

I shimmed the neck and adjusted the bridge down... not to bad at all. Its higher than I prefer but not to bad and really better than the pics look. I put a set of tapewounds on her but Chromes are going on it when I get a set. It's a really nice maple neck and I just had to try this first before I gave up and sent it out to the place in Texas. I tried a washer but it got stuck, a washer would of maybe really dialed it in but I'm not sure where to get one that fits and it was hard to get it down in there...to hard to see for me.

There it is some sticker marks on the body but it plays good and sounds great. I might redo the electronics,pup and pots but for now for $65.00 and an hour or so she is a keeper.

Attached Files:

19. bassbully

Just an update. The neck has straighted out even more from the adjutments and is crazy low now compared to where it even was in pic #2.

The only issue is the trussrod is completly maxed out and tight so if anymore adjustments are needed I will have to add washers or something. Anyone know what size washer I would need for this bass?

I never thought I would get this neck to straighten out. It took allot of pressure for sure but there was more room in the trussrod than the tech or I had thought. I'm a happy camper.
  20. Arial Bender

Pull the Trussrod nut off & measure the seating area of the nut.