Badly warped neck...warpedneck.com to the rescue!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by 77 StingRayBass, Jan 12, 2013.

1. 77 StingRayBass

77 StingRayBass

March 2012 I purchased a 'refurbished' Squire VM Jazz Bass. Nice bass, but as the humid season came on, I noticed I'd have to tweak the neck a couple of times a week...and as time went on, noticed the neck had a nasty hump @ the 17th-19th fret...used lighter strings, babied it till in November, taking it to the local Luthier here in town, he told me it had a nasty twist, and that he could either file the frets, or remove the culprits and plane the neck, but couldn't guarantee anything for the future of this neck. So, I'm pricing necks, all-parts, mighty mite, ebay ect, and ready to drop 2 hundy's to get another neck. By chance I googled 'warped neck' and this site came up:http://www.warpedneck.com/
    Called and gathered some info from the main man Erik, read the testimonials, and I thought, maybe...:confused: 'Heat-treatment?' Over the Christmas holiday, I shipped it down to Texas...
    Well, just got it back yesterday, and, :hyper:
    After letting the neck acclimate, I put the neck on, and after about an hour or so, finally settling in with the string tension and truss rod aadjustment, it was ARROW STRAIGHT!! That hump that pervented me from noodling down in the higher register were now true notes, NOT bottoming out, NOT BUZZING! Still can use a little fine tuning, but, 'heat-treatment' worked, and I'm one happy customer! Just wanted to pass on my story, which ended well!

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

$75 for fixing a warped neck isn't bad, espcially with valuable instruments.

3. 77 StingRayBass

77 StingRayBass

Agreed Jazz Ad!
    For about $133.00, I didn't have to buy a new neck, plus luthier bench fee for tranferring tuning keys, new nut, and drilling new body/neck holes.

4. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

That is a very worthwhile service!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 77 StingRayBass

77 StingRayBass

Excellent service, answered ALL my questions, no matter how dumb! I had communication from the beginning of process till the end.

7. lakefx

lakefx Supporting Member

I just got back an AmStd fretless p-bass neck from Erik at warpednecks.com. It wasn't badly warped, but had enough forward bow that the truss rod wouldn't take care of it. It came back perfectly straight and I even got a comment from the luthier I had file the nut grooves that they did a great job with it!