Bag End D10X-D. Should I?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by funkateer86, Dec 21, 2012.

1. funkateer86

funkateer86

So I found one of these for $400 locally. I'd never tried one but I'd heard positive things so I was intrigued. Plugged a PF500 into it and wow! With the eq as flat as I could figure, it was very clear and, well, flat. The P I was playing was coming through beautifully. Very sweet highs, not too aggressive (I hate aggressive tweeters) and punchy mids. When I rolled in the low end, slight bump in the mids, and cut the highs a touch, I was really impressed! It got great low end for a small and shallow cab and stayed clear and punchy. This little thing really blew me away. I kind of want to get rid of my Epi T-212 and go for this thing. Maybe that makes me crazy, I don't know. I've been needing something smaller and this seems perfect. I like that its shallow and sounds as good as it does. I know there was a deeper one but I can put this just about anywhere onstage as long as I don't choke up the rear ports. I'll bet it likes tubes...I like tubes.

I guess my question is, anyone have any opinions of this cab? Is there something I'm missing? Is the price okay? Am I crazy for wanting to trade in my Epi? Thanks!
  2. funkateer86

funkateer86

3. ddnidd1

ddnidd1

I have one, but I always use it in conjunction with other Bag End cabs. It does kick butt. My only reservation would be if it puts out enough low end for you.
  4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    I bought a pair of these. Sold 1, bought a deep. Better. Sold the other shallow got another deep....Way better. I was really missing the lows with the shallow cabs. Sold both of the deeps eventually - who really wants a 2x2x10 rig that weighs as much as an SVT fridge ?

My current, sub 50lb single cab will easily keep up with, if not smoke that old 140 lb stack...
  5. funkateer86

funkateer86

That's the only thing I'm wondering. I love the Epifani but I really don't use it that much. It seems like sometimes it's too big for very small to small rooms (coffee shops, restaurants) and its a bit bulky. I've got an early 70's SVT and fridge for the big stuff, but I don't really have anything that can reasonably cover the small, quiet gigs and keep the tone I'm after while being easy to transport.
  6. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

I can't speak for this particular cabinet, but I used a Bag End Q10BXD for about 11 years. Probably the best-sounding cab I've ever owned. The ONLY reason I sold it was because at 96 pounds, it was a bear to lug around, even with casters on it. Awesome, clean tone that really lets your bass show it's personality.
  7. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    I love the tone of Bag End cabinets. I used a D10B X-D rewired to 16 ohms and Q10 BX-D at 8 ohms to make a modular 5.67 ohm stack. Killer speakers but the 210 was big and the 80 lb weight made it a hard stairway carry. I had people help me carry the 100+ lb 410. With an SVT, 1001RB-II, or Sound City 120 it was gut punching bliss. :)
  8. Boot Soul

Boot Soul

Bag Ends are great underrated cabs and they do work well with tube heads (especially if you use a high-pass filter at around 45 Hz). I have the deep 4x10 version.

But I think $400 is too much for the 2x10, especially the shallow version. My cab used would go for about $400 in today's market. But hey, the D10X-D is worth what you're willing to pay for it, right?
  9. ddnidd1

ddnidd1

One thing to keep in mind is that the D10X-D cabs are almost impossible to find. If you can't make a deal, don't hold your breath looking for another one.
  10. pgk

pgk

i think bag end cabs, model for model, are the finest cabs on the planet. ya can't go wrong
  11. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    Forgot to add, I paid $400 for the 410 and $350 shipped for a near mint 210 off TB. $400 is a bit steep IMO.