Bag End S-15D cab question

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by buldog5151bass, Apr 2, 2014.

1. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads. Supporting Member

I have a chance to pick up some Bag End S-15D cabs. I've read great things about them other than power.

One gig I have is a modern country/blues quartet. The guitarist plays through a 40W Fender, and we have an acoustic player/sax with a small amp. The only thing that goes through the PA at many gigs is vocals, kick drum, and sax. Smaller venues (bars, restaurants).

My question is this. Will one cab cut it? I have a 15" Trace Elliot that I love, but I am trying to keep as small as I can (and that cab might be part of the trade). I don't want to have to carry two cabs all the time, and the TE works on its own.

Thanks.

2. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    IME, the magic really happens with a pair of them. They are efficient so one may cut it, but the tone/girth/punch is really amazing when you add a second one, even if you aren't going to play loud.

3. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Agreed.

They are very efficient (I.E. loud) cabs though

4. buldog5151bass

Thanks for the feedback - keep it coming. Guess I will have to wait for him to come down, and A/B the two cabs to see.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. spcmstrbtasp

spcmstrbtasp Supporting Member

These cabs are pretty amazing actually-

I've carried a 300 seat auditorium backing an 8 piece horn band w.o PA support with just one and an LMII powering it.

Ive also used 2 in a rock club and been told afterward that I wasn't even in the PA.

Two stacked can get away with as little as 200 watts of input and still sound great for most purposes.

I do like to use a single one as a stage monitor, taking advantage of the handle acting as a tilt back stand.

My only reservation about them is that at 50lbs they aren't light by todays standards. Get a folding magna cart, and you're taken care of there though.

Highly recommended.

Another bassist I know used four of them with power amp rig, so you can never have too many, I suppose... (I've used 3 stacked before with just an AI Clarus powering them, in fact).

7. buldog5151bass

You guys are talking me into it.

8. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

.. as you are A/B'ing them, keep in mind that they really seem to come alive in band setting ... I liked what I heard playing through them alone, but they just really seem to shine when playing in a mix ... not crazy deep, but very musical cabs .. and I agree, I would get the two and decide for yourself if second one is needed in your situation ... they are like money in the bank when bought right, you will have no problem moving the second one if not needed, and you will be the wiser having tried the two ... JMHO

9. buldog5151bass

I have played Bag Ends in the past, and like them - the issue is whether one is going to move enough air? My present setup lets me get away with one cab for many smaller gigs - I'd like to keep that freedom. The trade will give me both, but that doesn't mean I have to use both all the time.

10. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Without knowing some details of your TE cab it's tough to say, but the S15D's are some of the most efficient 15's. I would guess that it would be able to keep up with or exceed the TE cab. They can move a lot of air.

11. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Just so everyone knows, the Bag End S15D the OP is talking about is not the same as the regular S15. It's a much larger box.

OP, I've been using a single S15L for years now and the only time it hasn't been enough is when I played a 300 seat outdoor venue with no PA support. You can blame that devacle on lack of communication from the booker.

12. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

I take that back. The bigger cab is the S15B. Sorry!

13. buldog5151bass

No problem - I think the D refers to the color (Deep Red). Turns out the person had second thoughts. Once again, I have a fantastic Trace Elliott 300W 2x10 combo up for trade, along with a 1x15 cabinet.

14. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Yes and no. The letters that indicate color or finish are preceedes by a dash. So the small S15 in Deep Red is an S15-D. If the cab has a coaxial speaker, it gets an X before the dash. If it's a different sized cab, like my S15L, the letter goes before the dash as well. For the record, my cab is an oddball. A discontinued size in an uncommon finish. S15L-C (black carpet).
    This has been your Bag End info minute. Thank you. ;)

15. LGT

LGT

Gee, you guys are making me GAS for a second S15, and one has been plenty so far. :p

16. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

+1. You nailed the "size/coax-noncoax vs cabinet covering" perfectly. I suspect Bag End has more discontinued models than current.
    To the OP - you can not go wrong with the small 15" Bag Ends. The sound is outstandingly musical and they are a very manageable size and weight. If I could have only two cabs, I'd opt for a pair of S15's. :bassist:

17. buldog5151bass

Yeah, but I want to be able to gig with just cab when I can (getting older and hopefully wiser).

18. One Drop

One Drop Supporting Member

One is perfect for rehearsals and monitoring on stage with a lower stage volume, but there are better newer options if you want one can to cover a lot of your needs.

But two are so easy to shift and provide such a great punchy tone with enough lows to give a sold if not overly cushiony bottom, they are still a very viable rig.

I get a kick out of the punch they provide, and they really sing in a mix and take distortion beautifully. I've never needed the coax tweeter version but if you want a brighter rig one paired with the non tweet cube is also a great option.

They take EQ well and just sound great and can take a lot of power with ease. Great drivers in a 'wrong' size box but they are fine founding cabs that work great in a mix. I think they rock like heck with my Ps.

sstillwell likes this.
  19. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Those are really great 15" cabs. If I had them again, I'd probably build new lighter weight cabs with the porting on the front and be pretty happy. If anyone has T/S parameters for the drivers, I'd love to get a copy.

20. jeffbonny

jeffbonny Gold Supporting Member

I regularly (and quite happily) use a single S15-D for smaller bar gigs with the bass through the PA. With the kick miced and no bass through the PA I'd be inclined to use two.

21. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    The drivers from Bag End aren't cheap but they are reasonable if you don't opt for the six year warranty. I saw the TS specs someone posted at one point - IIRC, they had a pretty low Xmax and also a low Fs.

You could try something like the Kappa Pro 15A in the 1.8 ft3 box for something similar, but its not going to be the same as the OEM - I'd just shell out the bit of extra coin and hit it the first time. You should be able to get the port on the front if you shave off a couple of inches from the depth and you would have a pretty nice form factor though the port behind the driver probably contributes a lot to their tone. They're pretty small boxes so I'm not sure how much weight you could shave off or if it would be worth the trouble - their compact size makes them an easy schlep. Doing a compact 2x15 might save a little over separate cabs. For separate cabs, a top handle would probably be an improvement over the side ones BE uses, though they are high quality.