1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

BAG END: S15-D vs. S15B-D

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by dubstylee, Jul 17, 2010.

1. dubstylee

dubstylee

Hello all, searched the forums deeply on this one.

I understand the S15B-D is a much bigger box, I don't mind the extra weight. My question is: does this enclosure still retain the mids that the S15-D has whiling having an improved low end?

Also, owners of the S-15B, have you used it with the port on & off? How would you compare the tones.

Thanks
  2. CapnSev

CapnSev Supporting Member

I have no extensive experience with the BD, but it is a much bigger box and weighs a lot more. I know you say that doesn't bother you, but I thought it was one heavy beast, and that was killer for me, even if it does have some awesome lows.

I was looking at one when I was getting a second cab for my S-15XD, and I ended up ordering the LD, which is a nice compromise between the D and the BD. The BD had better lows, but it was just too big for me.
  3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I own two of the big "D" beasts. I haven't tried opening the ports yet, because I haven't wanted to bother removing and reinstalling the grilles. The good news is that they have great mids. No loss or issue with the mids whatsoever. They're even quite good at high mids up to around 3K or so. The bad news is that they don't pump the deep lows as much as one would assume or hope. I mean the lows are very good, just not as impressive as the size would indicate.

My impression with them is that the greater size gives them a fuller, more chest-pounding sound, but does not actually do anything for the lows.
  4. babebambi

babebambi

The big 15 goes quite deep IMO. But I've only tried it with the port, so can't really compare port on/off.

I don't think the big cab lose any of the mid, it just becomes a lot more balance with fuller bottom; where as the "square" cab is very mid focus.
  5. CapnSev

+1

I believe the BDs are rated at like 38Hz with the port closed, but they look like they should go way down lower than that. The regular "D" version goes to 50Hz, and the "LD" version goes to 45Hz.

IMO, if you want good mids, but still want some nice, usable lows, then just stack two regular S-15D cabs. They'll be seriously punchy and clear, but still give you a nice low end. That makes a good little stack, and it's sure a lot better than hauling one or two of those BD cabs around.
  6. dubstylee

dubstylee

I hear you, so it sounds as though I should maybe stick with the S15-D. I do reggae sometimes, so I was thinking that the S15-D wouldn't be able to help me out because it would lack the deepness. I liked the idea of the S15B-D because you can run it with the port on or off.
  7. CapnSev

Like I said, if you're using two, you should be ok. Seriously check out the LD cab. Its an incredible cab that goes deeper than the D, but they're tough to come by.
  8. wave rider

wave rider

MF says they have the S15LX-D in stock:
    http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Bag-End-S15LXD-1x15-Bass-Cabinet?sku=481219
    [​IMG]

From what I've heard, Bag End will whip out any model you want if you can't find anything in stock, give them a call.

I like mine lots (local Craigslist), adding an S12-D (thanks jeffjones) made an even fuller sound. There is something about doubling up on the "S" Bag Ends that really works well.

Don't know about reggae but the BE's will take a wide range of equalization if you want big pillowy bass...

=wr=
  9. dubstylee

dubstylee

It's weird, BAG END doesn't have this enclosure listed on their site. It weighs much much less than the S15B, and by the spec's it seems that it pumps the lows pretty well. Can you get it for less without the coax, I don't care for tweeters.
  10. Count Bassie

Count Bassie Supporting Member

Probably ok to just dial out the highs there. And a little barely-perceptible finger-attack on top never hurts the lows... that's how I like to do it with reggae. Lots of push down low, a little 'touch' evident.
  11. Muziekschuur

Muziekschuur

I now own a Bagend S15 B-D. And mine came with the port opened..... Oh boy.... Does it have a thundering low note...
  12. Count Bassie

Nice.

I'm getting back my old S15s this evening after work. :hyper: I sold them in a panic a couple years ago 'cause work was sucky at the time, and I regretted it hard afterwards, of course. But as fortune would have it, a band-mate ended up with them, and he's not playing bass anymore (he's a guitarist). So I've managed to get 'em back from him. I'm very happy indeed, and will not be buying any more gear for a good while. :cool:

I've been missing them...
  13. Count Bassie

This has me wondering- I think I quoted the wrong post here in an attempt to dole out some profound tidbit of reggae wisdom to someone who probably didn't need it. Oh well. Sorry. :)
  14. Count Bassie

This is true. The S-15D 2x stack is a tidy little powerhouse. Warm, phat, punchy and round.
  15. Count Bassie

Here they are... yay. The head is gone, I'll now be running each cab with ts own SWR SM400 power section, running the preamp from one for both... :bassist:

[​IMG]