Balanced tension strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by unclebass, Jan 3, 2013.

1. unclebass

unclebass

I have 2 basses, one has 45-65-86-105 roundwounds(blacktop jazz bass) the other has 77 flats same size(squier standard jazz). I want to go back to rounds on the squier, sound of flats not mixing well with other instruments, and high tension turning me off of wanting to play it. Am looking at possibly putting a lighter set of strings, something kind of bright, maybe a set of balanced tension strings. How is the sound from these type of strings? Is the sound balanced as well, or is there a sacrifice in sound to achieve balanced tension? Changing more for the sound than the tension, but want less tension on squier bass than on blacktop. More interested in sound than tension, but would be nice to have both!!
  2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    The tone does not change drastically with the balanced tension. If anything the overall dynamics of your instrument smooths out.

If you go with a much lighter gauge you may get a snappier sound as it is easier to pull a "pop" out of all of the strings. But if you like the feel of a .105 build a balanced tension set around that...