Band Calendars..who uses them?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by glocke1, Feb 12, 2014.

1. glocke1

glocke1

I am not talking about calendars that inform people of when your band is playing...

What I am talking about are calendars one would use to manage band personnel..

One group I play with asked me to fill one out with my availability for the next 4 months. :rollno:

I pretty much ignored the request, as it just reminded me too much of my day job...

2. Slough Feg Bass

Slough Feg Bass

we have a calendar at our rehearsal space, and we use that for some stuff.
    Also, we just have a running email thread called calendar updates.
    whenever any of us has to block out some time, we just send email with subject calendar updates.
    we add and subtract.

3. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

If I'm gonna book a gig, I gotta know what dates every can be there. You look like an amateur when the bar manager pulls out his calendar and asks for dates, and you have to put it off for a couple of days so you can get in touch with every one.

Google has a terrific online calendar. You should use it.

4. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    How can they book gigs if they don't know your availability? In my band, everyone has to tell me months ahead of time if there are any dates that they are not available, otherwise, they are expected to play.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Slough Feg Bass

Slough Feg Bass

if we get offered a gig, we text or email and usually know within an hour if everyone can make it.
    I never book anything without contacting each person individually and getting an affirmative reply.
    That's just askin for trouble.
    Maybe if it is a really good gig, I will book and if needed will get a sub, but that is rare.

7. glocke1

glocke1

the way everyone else contacts me about dates for gigs or rehearsals...

phone/text/email/FB message me with the dates you are inquiring about and I will tell you yes or no.

I guess if I didn't have to deal with multiple calendars in my day job, my attitude would be different...but somehow maintaining a calendar for something that should be fun just makes my head hurt..

Plus, I have a thing about making "public" my availability for the next several months...

8. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Phalex makes a great point. If I get a call from someone who wants to book us, I don't want to have to say "I'll have to get back to you".

No offense but in my opinion not wanting to provide a calendar just because you deal with multiple calendars at your day job is a little immature and shows a lack of commitment to the band. You should try to make things as easy as possible to avoid confusion. Some people can't use their phones while at work.

9. glocke1

glocke1

oh, i get that..not saying its not a selfish move on my part, but than again Im not really interested in basically "pre-commiting" to every weekend like that.

In any case, lets face it...personal calendars are very rarely accurate all of the time. I know that right now I could say I have every other weekend for the next 3 months free, and than that could change next week...Will I send out an update immediately? No.

Thats why just prefer to be contacted via email or phone...

10. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Every working band NEEDs a calendar - expressly when booking lots of gigs months ahead.

11. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

Each of us has a paper calendar, and we coordinate regularly. Does that count?

12. sleeplessknight

sleeplessknight Supporting Member

I use Google Calender, and freaking love it. It's the only way to fly, IMHO. Phalex +1

13. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    If you don't put a date on my calendar as UNAVAILABLE, I am going to book that date.

You are GOING TO BE THERE.

You are not sending in a sub.

You will be there.

You had a chance to tell me you were unavailable.

My wife and I each have one, and we synchronize them about once a week, and also whenever Scott or Arthur email us, (they always cc us both) about a date they can't play, and we usually review them at rehearsals.

14. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    You don't get paid to play music at your day job.

Most people who complain about any aspect of this band being too much like a job end up finding themselves unemployed.

15. SuperK

SuperK Supporting Member

+1 for a shared Google calendar. C'mon, who doesn't have access to Google?

16. glocke1

glocke1

ehh...not really. I get plenty of stuff thrown my way without needing to advertise my availability to all via a publicly shared calendar...

17. Factor88

Factor88

Some people have full time jobs, and family commitments, that are more important than the band. And in some of those cases, It can be impossible to tell 3 months out if one would be available for a gig or not. The band I am in works about 45-50 gigs per year and we do not have a band calendar with everyone's availability. I can't recall ever losing a booking because someone was not willing to wait a day or two for us to confirm availability.

18. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Supporting Member

Nothing wrong with that ... a band needs to book that far out sometimes. As long as you can update the calendar as time passes (IOW, you can block off dates as you become unavailable) I see no problem. I play in several projects, including a band that does 60+ gigs a year. It works. (The country band has confirmed bookings on the calendar into 2015 ... I WILL be available for those dates).

19. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Supporting Member

You don't have to tell anyone WHY you're unavailable.

20. Art Araya

Art Araya Supporting Member

I lead the band in my church. I have to schedule band members for every week. I like to do a month at a time so I ask team members to notify me of weeks they are not available. We do it thru a website called planningcenteronline.com. pretty slick stuff.

21. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Planning Center ROCKS! :bassist: