Band equipment

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by javi_bassist, Apr 13, 2014.

1. javi_bassist

javi_bassist

Hi guys,
    I don't write much here but i read a lot of threads. I opened this one to tell you the situation with my band. I started a band with a drummer and a guitarist that we used to play in another band before (we've known each other for more than two years). We found a singer and writer (one of the best musicians i know) so we are complete. The band, musically speaking, is the best band i've been in in my life and i love the music we play

The bad part of all is the gear we have. The drummer and i have mostly everything we need (we only need to upgrade some things, but we have everything) however the guitarist does not have an amp and his pedalboard (in his own words) is ****. The singer/guitarist does not own an amp either, but he has the money to buy one when we will need it. The point is that the other guitarist says he doesn't have the money. He is also creating a home studio and all he has is spent on monitors, computers and that stuff. It is good, we really support him but we are planning on touring and playing in shows and we depend on wether the other bands want to lend him their gear. I had a lot of bad experiences so i don't lend my amp head to anyone, which is one of the conditions usually.

I talked to him several times (during two years he always said that he had no money). It's stopping us from playing regularly and i personally hate when i depend on ther people in these kind of things

Have you guys had an issue like this?
  2. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Supporting Member

Can't say I have. Anyone who plays in my band(s) is expected to have the gear for the gig. No gear, no gig. No gig, no band. In your case, your guitarist has chosen not to have the gear he needs, spending his money elsewhere. I'd tell him to buy some gear appropriate for the gigs you'll play ... if he doesn't, I'd be looking for another guitar player. It isn't like they are rare, is it?
  3. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I have never heard of anyone trying to join a band without having their own gear. A guitarist without an amp is useless. How do you rehearse if neither of your guitarists have amplifiers? If would tell the one who has the money to go out and buy an amp and replace the other guitarist. He is only going to hold you back.
  4. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

No gear - NO place in the band
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Joedog

Joedog

Yep.
  7. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Supporting Member

Every person is responsible, at the least, for their own gear. Period.
  8. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

This is as simple and clear as it could be: If the guitarist - either guitarist - has the resources to buy an amp, but chooses not to for his own discretionary purposes, then it is impossible for him to function in the band. If he is not able to function, then why is he even in the band in the first place?

It seems to me that this guy - both guys really - have already made a statement about where their true priorities lie: and clearly it is NOT with the band. If you value their input that highly, then you might consider giving them an ultimatum: Either get an acceptable amp by such-and-such a date, or you're out. Or just start holding new auditions.

Either way, it appears to me that your band is not nearly as solid as you seem to think... :eyebrow:

MM
  9. Stewie26

Stewie26 Gold Supporting Member

So you book a gig (with other bands playing also) and then ask them if your guitar player can borrow their gear? How's that working out for you? You might want to find a new GP.
  10. Winfred

Winfred

You need two new guitarists.
  11. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

That's like a roofer trying to work without a nail gun or hammer. No tools = no work.
  12. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Supporting Member

What happens when you buy/upgrade PA etc? No sponges allowed.

I've allowed other musicians to borrow in an emergency, but only if they have their gear and something broke. If you came up to me and asked, I would politely direct your guitarist to the audience, which is where he should be.
  13. M0ses

M0ses

If you don't have an amp, you're not a guitarist. You're a wannabe.
  14. RustyAxe

A rather wide brush. There are millions of guitarists, like me, who play acoustic guitar.
  15. M0ses

M0ses

Fine. If you don't have appropriate gear, you're not a guitarist.
  16. Crg2

Crg2

He's out.
  17. RustyAxe

:eyebrow:
    All a guitarist needs to be a guitarist is a guitar ... and chops. If they want to play in a BAND they need gear. But the gear doesn't define them as guitarists. I've heard way too many guys with $5K amps and $5k guitars who can suck the music right out of the air.
  18. Burt35

Burt35

I can't even imagine not having an amp. I had one when I was 14. How could someone who takes music seriously (?) not have the most basic gear? I've never been in a band where someone didn't have what they needed to gig, rehearse, and record. Kind of a deal breaker.

Also, I would never lend my amp to a stranger at a gig. Ever. And would be reluctant to let an acquaintance borrow it either. What if something went wrong? They're going to replace a very expensive amp or pay to fix it? Not worth the hassle. Get your own amp. Problem solved.
  19. javi_bassist

javi_bassist

The guitar who is the singer is looking for an amp already.

Now they are currently using the gear of the band we share the studio with (they all agree).

I totally agree with all you guys, that's why i've been also looking for another music projects. I will try to talk to him again.

Besides i'm thinking of upgrading my gear (the drummer too) to improve our sound and it's kinda dissapointing because of the rest. I will try to follow your advice. Thanks guys!
  20. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Way cool, thanks for the update. Good luck and have fun.

Cheers
  21. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

If you end up needing a new drummer, let me know! I don't have drums or anything, but I'm a drummer.

If you'd rather focus on something other than bass, let me know! I don't have a bass, but I'm a bass player looking for a band.
    Remyd likes this.