Band in need of thoughts from musicians

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by BassWindu711, Feb 9, 2013.

1. BassWindu711

BassWindu711

My band in need of some thoughts from other musicians. Suggestions, criticism, and hopefully compliments. Don't hold back. We rather you tell us now rather than someone at a gig. Thanks! Here is the URL, best to listen with headphones or desktop.

2. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    You guys can play and sound tight. Bass, drums and guitar all sound great. I would like to hear something with vocals. Audiences get very bored listening to instrumentals all night.

3. BassWindu711

BassWindu711

Its just a jam. We have songs ready. We play stuff like the black keys all the to the black eyed peas. We try to do rock but still want to connect to our age group. A lot of kids today listen to bad music sadly.

4. 254 stringer

254 stringer Supporting Member

Music sounded good like said already a singer will help. I would say maybe work on the look of the band unless the clean cut look is what yall are going for. When I hear music like that I tend to think of dudes with shaggy hair and stubble.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BtHt83

BtHt83

badass. Just clean up the changes a bit - that's the only criticism I've got. You guys are off to a damn good start for your age.

7. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

All in all, a solid performance. Great drummer, by the way. And your bass worked well with him. It's hard to have a bad performance with a tight rhythm section, and considering you've likely only been playing for a couple of years each, it was very good.

8. BassWindu711

BassWindu711

Thanks. And yes, the change is shaky. We forced a change in rather then letting it just "flow" in if ya know what u mean. We've only been together for about a month.

9. BassWindu711

BassWindu711

Thanks! Were gunna stick with the clean look though. Were not really old enough to grow stubble lol. 16 year olds here!

10. rebelscum

rebelscum

I really dig this. At this point, my main advise would be to choose your vocalist wisely unless you already have one. Keep up the great work!

*Edit. Don't worry about your "look" until you are solid. :cool:

11. BassWindu711

BassWindu711

Thanks and we do have a vocalist. They're the hardest to find but he's the one who brought us together. As well he's the expert cameraman in the vid:D

12. Swing Doom

Swing Doom

My main point of advice is to watch the tempo. It did seem to fluctuate throughout the song. Make sure you work with a metronome and really make sure everyone in the band can develop a good sense of pulse.

13. MarkMgibson

MarkMgibson

Pretty damn good for a bunch of 16 year olds who've been together for a month. As others have said, it would good to hear something with vocals. If any of you can sing, you should try using harmonies as much as possible (it makes a huge difference). I don't really agree about using a metronome - I quite like your drummer's rhythmic shifts. He has some style, which is better than someone pounding out the same basic rock beat in perfect time. Just my opinion, of course.

I don't like the keyboard sound (not his playing, just his sound), but that's a subjective thing. Your changes aren't perfect, but no different to any band starting out; practise will sort that out soon enough. Great job, and send us something with some vocals when you can.

Regards,
    Mark

14. BassWindu711

BassWindu711

Thanks Mark! It was a free lance on the spot jam so I'm not disappointed about the changes.

15. oniman7

oniman7

I'm 17 and sporting a full beard... It'll happen!

16. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Good to stay with the clean look. Everybody else is shaggy, be different. As averyone has already said a vocalist would be great. Also, maybe get the keys to take a solo. Maybe he does in other songs. If that's the case then this is a useless comment. I just know I get tired of listening to the same solo voice all night

17. One Drop

One Drop Supporting Member

Nothing to say because you are well on your way (assuming your singer is good), except that you should loop your cord around your strap to avoid damaging your bass if you step on it.

18. baddarryl

baddarryl

19. backup

backup

i wish the 16 years olds around here would bring a groove like that! very good

20. RadioRob

RadioRob Supporting Member

Media:
    Use more than 3 chords. ;)
    When you do have a singer use re-verb and a light slap back delay. It does wonders
    Eye contact helps with changes

21. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies

Wow - you guys sound great! Time is on your side, as you're all quite young.
    I see you probably going to good places in a few short years of just getting tighter & tighter :cool:

Is that Millhouse on the keys??? lol