1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Band issue

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Synbrad, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Synbrad

Synbrad

Hi all

I was wondering if any of you were able to give me some advice with a band issue I'm going through.

Recently we have had a new guitarist come into our group and he does play well. The problem is since he has joined the group, everyone has been focusing on more about the guitar than any of the other instruments and have felt he has overtaken the group. When I say overtaken, the other members have sounded like they have been brain washed by him saying things that sound like he is a god. Everything is seeming to be in his style or his way even so that our vocalist said to the A&R person (part of a huge record label) that RnB and Funk suit her voice which I know for defiant isn't her style.

I feel like have been alienated so badly that I haven't been able to put a songwriting idea or any other ideas to them, all the desicions are seeming to be made before rehearsals even start and other gigs are being arranged behind my back yet I have done nothing wrong.

The thing is I don't want to leave the band as it has really good potential but the way I'm treated has been very badly. What do you think I should do?

2. okcrum

okcrum in your chest Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Dark Horse strings
    If I am understanding this correctly, it sounds like you are being shown the door.

3. svlilioukalani

svlilioukalani

Sounds like the band is still in the honeymoon phase with your new guitar player. Give them and yourself some time. Try to be ego free and don’t let this bother you. Good bands are few and far between. If this band has potential, just let them be. The new wears off once the new guys limitations become apparent.

4. Every time the band makeup changes, everything does a shift. Sometimes a band could have 4 members. 2 think one way and 2 the other, so everything remains neutral. Perhaps two members would like to add a new song, the other two don't like it so nothing chances. If one person leaves, then the new 'whole' will have a shift. Maybe the new song is brought up again. One person says no, but the new person just says "I don't mind one way or the other", not having their feet under the desk yet. 2 V 1, with one not worried. New song is in. Remaining band member who didn't like the song feels they have been sidelined.

Enjoy your new band member and maybe consider that the change could be for the good of the whole. I agree with svliloukalani - just suck it up for a bit and see what happens. Then, if you still feel the direction change is bad, leave on a happy note. In my band, we're on great terms with two of the original members - and one is even happy to do the occasional dep gig.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Icey101

Icey101

Agreed as above two guys, just go with it, dont let your ego get in your way too, be a nice guy who plays great bass for your band and you will never have a problem,if you start to become the issue they might show you the door. As long as the whole band is doing well and have a good label then its all good dude

7. obimark

obimark

Interesting- sounds like this band has an overall lack of vision of what it is doing, if there is much latitude.

What is the band's style before the guy joined? Did you have records and play gigs with people in this style? If so why would you change drastically because you got a rhythm guitarist?

8. Synbrad

Synbrad

Thank you all for your advice some of it does make sense. Something I will add which I didn't say earlier I did know the guitarist before he joined the group but didn't invite him to the group because of what he's like. Because I studied at the same place as he did he was into RnB and Funk and tried with several other few bands the exact same style. Recently he has quit a lot of bands without saying anything about them.

Before he arrived we did various styles like rock, ballads, dance and pop and because we have a female vocalist this did suit her. But ever since he has come the focus on the guitar has been quite heavy. The conversations that I've seen posted in our private mail for example when he's not able to gig sounds like it's the end of the world when they forget we have a keyboard who has a lot of good patches who in honesty could easily fill it in.

9. okcrum

okcrum in your chest Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Dark Horse strings
    Well, if you are not being shown the door, it sounds like you are most definitely being sent the message that from now on, you'll be nothing more than a sideman in this band as long as the guitar player is in it. Proceed accordingly...

10. Synbrad

Synbrad

No I'm not being shown the door otherwise I reakon I would have gone a couple of months ago. I think your right okcrum I think they are only going to realise what he is like when the honeymoon phase has ended like svlilioukalani mentioned. The group seem to be aiming to be more modern than traditional/vintage so in a way I guess I have that on my side. Plus as a writer I believe there's more than one sound out there that can make difference

11. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Welcome to TB BM.

Hmm. IMHO, I think they’re going to replace you.

Yeah, that's a bummer - but you need to get over it already and find another band - start looking today.

Good luck and best wishes

12. Synbrad

Synbrad

Sorry I meant for like acoustic gigs not the full band ones. Its complicated but I think I know what to do

13. thefruitfarmer

thefruitfarmer

Sounds like a control freak to me, making the band into the image that exists in his own head.

He has been through several bands and he could wreck this line up with his antics. Eventually he could start a big argument, people will eventually start to realise if he is putting ideas into their heads and everyone may turn on him....

Still, that said, if he really is good ( as opposed to just appearing good ) it may be worth putting up and playing the bass with him. It would be wise to have a plan B though. If he suspects you are aware of his manipulations he may want to take steps to prevent your perception spreading to the rest of the band, which could include replacing the bass player.

14. ImNotJoel

ImNotJoel

I don't think we can really say if you're being shown the door that's just a speculation you can always ask. Best thing you can do is put it on the table sometimes bands that lack a vision are easily persuaded or brain washed as you said.

Your band mates sound like they are hearing something new and like the new ideas. You can be honest talk to your band mates and guitarist desperately or all together and asked were are we at here what's our direction? That way you know. When your making music happens to all of us we get in ruts same chord progressions, structure, and scales. Bring something new to the table doesn't have to be the guitarists style just new stuff.

I have been in this situation with other musicians and actually made some of my better material having a little bit of a competitive attitude. I have been in a few bands were we had a respectful yet competitive attitude. We always tried to one up the others songs but when some one had an idea we would work with them on it and make it the best it could be. Try and bring something that will impress everyone to next practice.

15. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

So OP "Synbrad", its been about month - any updates?

16. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Synbad has not signed in since the day after he joined TB, Lownered again, ciao baby.

17. Depth_Charge

Depth_Charge

Booking acoustic gigs without you isn't going behind your back.

Many "full" 5/6 piece bands around here offer cut down acoustic versions of themselves, often pitching to venues or on nights that otherwise wouldn't hire a full band anyway.